Blackcurrect cider

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thetacker

Reaction score
I've just started a Blackcurrant TC and just realised I used ribena (which should be diluted 1part juice to 4 parts water.what's the chance of this fermenting out? So in the JD there's 3lt of Apple juice and .850ml of ribena with Young's Ale yeast,the temp is 20degC. I started it about 19:00hrs last night and it just starting to get a head. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Yes it does contain preservatives so I boilit for around5-6mins. As for taking a o.g. reading no for some unknown reason I didn't. It has now been fermenting reasonably vigorously so all seems to be going as Well as I expected.

Just a quick up date, yesterday when the ferment had slowed down topped the dj up with another litre of Apple juice. Had a look to see how thing were progressing and I am pleased to say it's plopping away very nicely.

I done one with strawberry Ribena it fully fermented down to 1000. I can tell you if yours does the same you will be looking at around 10% so not a session drink for sure.

Just bare in mind when bottling this will be very very dry so sweetener is a must

I made one with 650 ml of strawberry Ribena with cider yeast and it fermented out to quite a sharp , dry tasting cider . I had to back sweeten with some Cologran sweetener . With the risk of making it taste too "artificial" it ended up still being quite a dry taste but next time I might add a bit more sweetener .

Another point to note that if you have used an ale yeast it will probably stop at about 1.010 which will leave you with a sweet cider if you leave it to age a bit .

That's very interesting if not unexpected. Yes I did use an Ale yeast (Young's). So being that I'm more into medium dry( I should also add they I am also doing a Strawberry cider) how much sweetener could I expect to add.

If you like more of a sweet cider it would be 2 tea spoons per 500ml bottle. Plus the 1 spoon of sugar for carbing it.

Thanks Southern and Tony4790 for the comments, very helpful and reasurring to hear that I'm on the right lines. I was thinking of 1 and a 1/2 teaspoons of sweetener and a level teaspoon of sugar for priming in a 500ml bottle .

Yes that sounds good I would imagine it would be more medium with that amount which is how you said you like it.

Defo keep us posted how it turns out

Right quick up date. When I made my Blackcurrant cider My neighbour started a Strawberry (ribena) cider exactly the same apart from no additional sugar, a hyd reading was taken today 1009-10 do a trip bottled with 1level tsp sugar and 1 1/2 sweetener used 500ml pet bottles so now wait and watch this space. Ho the Blackcurrant is still doing its magic in the demijohn.

Well Blackcurrant cider now in the bottles (hyd reading 996) put away in the coolest place I could find (still bit warm but hey no)going to leave it there for a couple of week before I sample one.I did have a taste while bottling(less than half a bottle wasn't worth putting in a bottle) and I was quite pleased.

Well tried one tonight and I must say I was a little disappointed, very little blackcurrant coming through quite tart,could be it needs a bit more back sweetening or do it 2 Blackcurrant instead of the one.???? What do you think?

Latest posts

Back