Bleach smell

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Worrywort

Reaction score
I have cleaned an old FV with milton left to soak overnight and rinsed 3 or 4 times, it has been left to dry out but now it seems to have a bleach smell to it, will it be OK to use? or is there anyway to get rid of the smell, I don't want to ruin a batch of beer.:sick:
:cheers:

From experience you can do a couple of things here WWort, spray inside your FV with Sodium Metabisulphate (crushed Campden Tablet) which will neutralise chlorine. Turn your FV over and let it drain.

Secondly, which I favour is to boil a kettle of water and pour the boiling water very very slowly down around the inside wall of the FV. Put the lid on making sure its not air tight, you will get a pressure build up and it needs to escape. The steam and boiling hot water will disolve any chlorine in there. Leave it 10mins and drain.

I always do this of a matter of course after sanitation/serialization. It leaves my FV's fresh even after being used for 9yrs. I never use cold tap water for final rising, even though tap water is fit for drinking it still has plenty of nasties in there. My tap water in my opinion is fairly good tasting and Ive tasted a few sample from a far in the past.
Try smelling 5 gallons of tap water in a brewing vessel:sick:eek:r streaking an agar dish with some.

Hope this helps you out a bit.

Steve.

Well that seems to have done the trick, I left it with the hot water in for about 30 min's and put a crushed campden tablet in as well, job done thanks.:-D

Glad you're sorted now, just though I'd share what I do... I use a handheld steam cleaner (little attachment on one you'd have to clean the kitchen floor). As well as thoroughly cleaning, it seems to get rid of any smells too.

I remove any dirt with the smooth side of a sponge with a little hot water and washing up liquid, then steam clean, dry with a clean cloth and put a little tin foil over the grommit. Then on brew day, I sanitise with Star San as normal. In total I probably spend 10 mins on it all... worth the peace of mind when the airlocks bubbling away.

Latest posts

Back