BM 20 low pumped tap

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Originally done a few years ago this modification, really makes life easier by diverting the BM 20 (or 50) pump to another outlet.

After a wee edit here it is.

Any thoughts or comments, shout up.

Attachments

• Low pumped tap 2023.pdf
    156.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Good reason that German design made the tap with a 8mm orifice, a slow empty into the fermenter after whirlpooling. I always used mine on half choke, leaves all the trub behind and clean and tidy up while its filling the fermenter. I saw a lot of folk, first thing they did was change the tap to a 12mm choke when they got a BM, increasing the flow will drain everything out which the boil and Irish moss had precipitated out.

Absolutely.
I am sure the German purity laws and the prevalent German beer styles affected the design too.

People brew many things in the brewmeister and this gives you more options, it doesn't remove any. The low tap is not just for wort and its nice to see it on the new models straight from the factory.

Everyone finds there own way.

Doesn't everyone tinker and change there brewday processes & equipment ?

Absolutely.
I am sure the German purity laws and the prevalent German beer styles affected the design too.

People brew many things in the brewmeister and this gives you more options, it doesn't remove any. The low tap is not just for wort and its nice to see it on the new models straight from the factory.

Everyone finds there own way.

Doesn't everyone tinker and change there brewday processes & equipment ?
The only change I made was made new screens for the top so I could get more grain in and wort out.

It was pushing the 7.0kg but I used mine for single volume mash, worked fine if there wasn't any adjuncts like maize or flaked cereal.
I fitted an extra seal on the top then top screens.
This was another improvement I made adding onto the malt pipe.
IMG_3341.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_3341.JPG
    IMG_3341.JPG
    51.5 KB · Views: 0
Better question. How's it work?
Well the same way as normal, the wort is pumped up through the grain and over the sides, I belive that this is patented by Spiedel. A far better concept than the return pipe plus the 15 minute interval to settle the grains then flush them again I do think 10 minutes would have been better.

I have to say I am struggling to get my head around this.
So you mash in this, like in the pic with the lid off? Like a chocolate fountain?
Exactly the same as without the extension. The BM pumps from the bottom up, with a very powerful pump the liquor is forced through the grain and down the sides. The rest is every 15 minutes allowing the grain to drop then the pump starts up the grain up and over the sides this is repeated every 15 minutes of the mash time. When the mash is finished lift the basket and let the wort drain into the kettle ready for the boil.

Now that link I get. That a stainless brew-in-a-bag. I have seen some nice ones with handles like a bucket. I had something similar a few moons ago.

Now that link I get. That a stainless brew-in-a-bag. I have seen some nice ones with handles like a bucket. I had something similar a few moons ago.
Did you use it in the braumeister? I would imagine you need to stir regularly to keep the heat distributed?

With no lid on?
No, no lid on. Also the baskets wont be as effective, the pump forces wort through the grain bed and out through the top screens at pressure. Having a basket the pump will lose its momentum pushing more wort through the side of the basket.

No, no lid on. Also the baskets wont be as effective, the pump forces wort through the grain bed and out through the top screens at pressure. Having a basket the pump will lose its momentum pushing more wort through the side of the basket.
Nothing to do with baskets, just surprised to hear you run the BM without a lid and surprised the pump had enough head to get that high. Wow.

Going back to this thread. I want to get an external mag pump to whirlpool and transfer wort to fermenter.

I’m not really up for removing/altering & using the BM pump for this.

As my BM is a newer version with the second bottom drain, I intend to either use the barbs on the front and bottom taps to connect to pump, or replace taps and connect using quick disconnect off a 3 piece ball valve.

However, I’m undecided on either a 25w pump or 65w pump - the 65w is not much extra but unsure if the original 12mm Barb on taps is too small and will restrict inlet too much?

Any comment on sizing appreciated

Latest posts

Back