Boiler Cover/Lid

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
best to keep on for use as a hlt when warming upto strike temp, insulation will help £shop camping mats and luggage straps make a cheap jacket. and definatly if mashing in it biab style .. for the boil, if vigilant keeping it on should get the boil going faster but as soon as the boil starts you want the lid off to allow the vapors escape.

Thank you. My first and only brew was in a small outside shed with no ventilation and I found the vapour overpowering as I'd left the lid off. I did think if the lid was on the vapour created would dilute the beer. I'll boil lid off but this time nearer the open door,thanks.

I made a stupid mistake today and pitched my yeast into my wort which was at the temperature of 75c instead of 75f. Stupid I know. Is there a way that I can recover this? My other query but not so serious is do I add sugar when the fermentation is finished and I move it to the storage pressure barrel?
I'm keen to save the mix , help please appreciated, I thought maybe add another yeast tomorrow. Thank you

Yes, once it's cooled down to about 20 degrees C, add some more yeast - it's unlikely the original will have survived at 75 degrees C.

And, yes, once it's fermented, add sugar to the barrel before syphoning in your brew. If you boil the sugar for a few mins in a little water first, then pour it into the barrel, that'll help it mix with the beer. Fermentation will kick off again and within two or three days you should notice your barrel swelling slightly with the pressure.

Thank you , I was worried because I had not gone through the quick chill process and thought the wort would also be ruined.

Latest posts

Back