Boiling issues

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ned Lud

Reaction score
I always enjoy visits from my nephew as it gives me the chance of a learned opinion of my latest experimental extract brews (He’s also a keen home brewer). He was very complimentary about my brews on his last visit, and I was feeling pretty smug... until he produced two of his all-grain brews. They blew my socks off, it was easily the best beer I have ever tasted – and he’d only thrown them together out of bits he had left in the cupboard/freezer. That was it, in a blinding revelation I realised my extract/kit brewing days were over, I was going all grain. After trawling the net for mash tun info, I went out and bought one of these from my LHBS:

IMG_0831.jpg

Plus half the contents of the local plumbing supply shop:

IMG_0830.jpg

And put them all together to make this:

IMG_0835.jpg

I also bought two of these:

IMG_0833.jpg

Plus even more plumbing equipment. My questions are:

1. Is a 33 litre polypropylene bucket (as per the mash tun) OK to install the two kettle elements in ? (the bucket seems more substantial/better quality that my Young’s polypropylene FV).

2. Is the rubber washer that came with the kettle element sufficient to maintain a water-tight seal?

3. Is 33 litres enough volume to allow boiling of wort for a 25 litre brew?

Thanks in advance

:cheers:

Ned

In my opinion the answers are yes, yes and yes.
I've had great success doing exactly what you suggest.

When your wort is just comming up to the boil turn one of the elements off until the froth settles.
This helps stop "boil over".

Exactly what ev said .... and welcome.

You're stuffed now, you will forever be obsessed. Still, as obsessions go, it ranks right up there with sex and some other stuff that I really shouldn't mention here.

Nice to meet you, in a couple of months you'll be showing your nephew just who the boss is.

:cheers:

Thanks for the replies, I'm suitably reassured - I didn't fancy the prospect of boiling hot wort all over my feet.

Ned

with the 33l boiler you will have to watch it for the first 20 mins or so to avoid boil overs when the break foams at the beginning.

Tony said:
unclepumble said:
Welcome to the dark side, at Last you see the Light!!!!!!!! :cheers: :D

UP

Dark side with light UP?
:whistle:

:D

Not all light can be seen with the naked eye oh unenlightened one!!!!!!

To see sometimes one must use other senses that have been forgotten over many millennia, hear the words of the sage for the truth is there to be found :ugeek: :drink: :drunk:
:rofl:

UP

unclepumble said:
Not all light can be seen with the naked eye oh unenlightened one!!!!!!

To see sometimes one must use other senses that have been forgotten over many millennia, hear the words of the sage for the truth is there to be found
UP
That is one of the most profound statements I've ever read!

Hmm... the last thing I had that "enhanced" my colour perception was passed to me by a pot head at the Reading rock festival 30 years ago (I didn't inhale of course). There must be more to this "all grain" lark than I thought ;)

Ned

Latest posts

Back