Bottle Conditioning

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PawsOfEvil

Reaction score
Might be a stupid question but...

Most people seem to recommend 2 weeks in a warm place and 2 weeks in a cool place to condition a beer. Longer is better. Question is if you want to leave them aside for a few weeks do you store it in a warmish place or does it have to be somewhere cold? I have too many bottles to fit into my fridge so will they be ok just left in a cupboard? I don't have anywhere particularly cool/cold that I can leave them.

Why cool? Apart from faster clearing I've never found out the science behind the advantages of cool conditioning in regards to flavour... :hmm: .... not saying at all that it isn't important, but just curious of the reasons!

Apart from chill haze, I've never had any problems with leaving my bottles in a warm cupboard then putting them in the fridge a few hours before I want to drink them. Cold conditioning (if it is cold enough) should drop the chill haze out.

For me it's two weeks warm, two weeks cool, then put them wherever I want until drinking time. My view is that the initial four weeks of conditioning, creating co2, absorbing co2, and clearing is what matters, after which storage temperature isn't that important.

knthrak1982 said:
For me it's two weeks warm, two weeks cool, then put them wherever I want until drinking time. My view is that the initial four weeks of conditioning, creating co2, absorbing co2, and clearing is what matters, after which storage temperature isn't that important.
I think that when you move the bottles to the warm again after the cold period, the co2 will slowly come out of the beer again..

crE said:
knthrak1982 said:
I think that when you move the bottles to the warm again after the cold period, the co2 will slowly come out of the beer again..

:hmm: I'd have thought sticking them back in the fridge for a few hours before drinking would restore the gas again but maybe I'm wrong. Got a few bottles in the warm stage at the moment. Might try a scientific study. :hmm:

Ok so the 2 weeks in the warm is a minimum? I could leave it for say 8 or 12 weeks warm and then stick it in the fridge for 2 weeks prior to drinking? Held up against a light the bottles seem quite clear and have a small layer of yeast sediment in the bottom. I take it the yeast will consume the priming sugar and then co2 formation will stop?

I have drank beers at less than a week from bottling and they have tasted good and have been well carbed. If the beer has gone clear I would say that means that the secondary fermentation is done as the yeast has consumed the sugar and settled. Stick one in the fridge for a few hours then drink it. If it tastes good and is well carbed then in my opinion it is ready. If you are not sure about the taste forget about them for a couple of weeks and then try again.

Despite what I have just said I do believe that most beers will improve with a bit of ageing but I do find a lot of my beers are very drinkable young.

knthrak1982 said:
...after which storage temperature isn't that important.
I think the point is they'll last longer if kept cool though mine are mostly gone well before any notional best before date. Whether cool conditioning is important is another question.

sdsratm said:
itbrvilla said:
How long in a PET bottle should it take for it become hard to the touch?

My latest brew was very lightly primed but my PET bottles were quite firm after 1 week at 20c.
Good to know. Mine have been 3 days and are fair sft to the touch after being primed with heaped 1/2 teaspoons of dextrose.

Latest posts

Back