Bottling first AG beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jayk34

Landlord.
Reaction score
I have followed the guidelines in here in relation to the 2-2-2 rule when doing kit brews.

My first attempt at AG brown porter recipe went into the fermenter last Sunday night at 1.054. the ispindle has sat static at 1.014 for the past 2days. I cracked the lid to test with the hydrometer and it's at 1.017. the reading is out in the ispindle due to crud on the lid.

The fermentation went mad after about 13 hours if pitching the US05 and continued like that for a few days before stopping.

My question is whether there is much to be gained from leaving for another week even though it had finished fermenting or if I should bottle it now.

I always do 2 weeks primary, 1 week secondary and then "package".
If your beer kicked off fast, all the more reason to leave it, for mine.
You may do as you will, though, as it is your beer and not mine.
As my good lady often tells me, I don't know half as much as I think I do.

The 2+2+2 rule works for ag as well as for kits
I know it works for AG as well but haven't had a kit finish in about 3 days. Was wondering if I should bottle now unless there was some benefits from leaving it over another week ?

The first part of the fermentation process is very fast and it generally takes longer to finish those final few gravity points. There is also the process of the yeast 'cleaning up' after itself, getting rid of diacetyl etc. This will differ with different styles and yeasts which is why 2+2+2 is a rule of thumb but certainly one worth sticking to. I have tried to rush a fermentation and bottle early because of going away on holiday before and ended up with diacetyl in the beer - then it's a waste of your effort brewing in the first place to end up with something you're not happy with. So the lesson is to continue to be patient...

I always do 2 weeks primary, 1 week secondary and then "package".
If your beer kicked off fast, all the more reason to leave it, for mine.
You may do as you will, though, as it is your beer and not mine.
As my good lady often tells me, I don't know half as much as I think I do.
My wife often tells me that too... She could be right !

Just wasn't sure if another 8 days sitting on the trub would affect taste if it wasn't actually fermenting. Will let it sit for the 2 weeks. Thanks

Last edited:
I was told to always give it two weeks in primary even if you reach your FG early, let the yeast clean up after itself

I usually leave it around 2 weeks but during the second week I will dry hop/cold crash etc
Going to have a brew day on Sunday and bottle it and then try to do the dry stout recipe from greg hughes book. What could go wrong :?:

Latest posts

Back