Bottling

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dangerous

Reaction score
This may be a stupid question....Why do I have to syphon the brew into a bottling bucket? Can i not just jug the brew straight into bottles? I havent got a bottling wand so last time I syphoned the brew into a large bucket with the priming solution.I then syphoned from the bucket into bottles over my dishwasher..It was hard work and messy.Ive bought a class jug to use to fill the bottles.

Everyone will come back at you and say you'll oxidise your beer but I know clibit uses a jug to fill his bottles and says he's never had any oxidisation problems.

I bottle using a syphon with a bottling stick and it's a pain in the bum. I guess if you fill the bottles at an angle so it doesn't splash it's probably safer.

I'm bottling my APA this weekend, so I might give it a go. Anyone got any advice for how to minimise the amount of oxygen in the beer using this sort of method?

I LURVE bottling. I really do enjoy it. Freak, me.

But I only bottle small batches, not 20+ litres. My advice is to either get a bottling wand or use my jug system! I siphon the beer into a bottling bucket with the priming sugar. Sterilise the bottles with a bottle rinser and starsan. Then fill a starsanned pint glass jug carefully and pour carefully into the bottle, held at an angle. Place a cap on top ready for capping after all bottles are filled.

I did 20 bottles of stout in the week in about half an hour. Tops.

I LURVE bottling. I really do enjoy it. Freak, me.

But I only bottle small batches, not 20+ litres. My advice is to either get a bottling wand or use my jug system! I siphon the beer into a bottling bucket with the priming sugar. Sterilise the bottles with a bottle rinser and starsan. Then fill a starsanned pint glass jug carefully and pour carefully into the bottle, held at an angle. Place a cap on top ready for capping after all bottles are filled.

I did 20 bottles of stout in the week in about half an hour. Tops.

OMG come to my house will you on bottling day:pray:

Someone feel free to correct me, but I'm guessing that any air that does get in the beer during bottling will be 'used' during yeast propogation in the bottle or expelled during the fill. I also guess that priming reduces the risk of air affecting the beer by promoting good bottle conditioning. Oxidation takes a long time

I've drunk bottles two years old that I filled by jug and were in great nick. No oxidation.

Steve, I'll help you bottle, no problemo. I'll have some yeast slurries in return. :thumb:

Two years old...Did you forget about them? Or have the willpower of an ox? I'd love to leave beer for ages, but I just can't

I just had loads of bottles in stock and left some alone for ages.glad I did, the aged bottles were awesome! I've got a few one year old bottles now.

I should really have more willpower. I'm completely out of drinkable stock at the minute after a break from brewing, but the stock is building.

Build the stock and set some aside. Well worth it. Especially with beers that are malty, strong or dark. A porter, strong stout, or a rich red ale, for example.

Will be interesting to see how the dunkelweisen matures, previously my wheat have needed to be drunk young, they tend to get less 'wheaty' as they mature

I think wheats are best drunk young, I rarely make them though.

Well I bottled my APA last night with a jug and a syphon. Took about the same time but was far less stressful and less messy. Let's see how they turn out...

Thanks Clibit! I had to use your jug method (without reading about it first) as I had a nightmare bottling from my bucket to new swing top bottles.

Has anyone else had this problem - the tap is only just smaller than the hole in the bottle, it was forever bubbling up/forming a vacuum? And blowing the beer back everywhere, and no the bottle wasn't full :lol: no where near.

Anyway I have a little more confidence my Christmas stout won't be oxidised now, I was assuming as Co2 is heavier than O2 it would be ok.

The problem I have is that my Youngs Autosyphon has a larger diameter pipe than the bottling wand. Any ideas as to how to connect the two without flooding my brewery, as is normally the case?

Thanks Clibit! I had to use your jug method (without reading about it first) as I had a nightmare bottling from my bucket to new swing top bottles.

Has anyone else had this problem - the tap is only just smaller than the hole in the bottle, it was forever bubbling up/forming a vacuum? And blowing the beer back everywhere, and no the bottle wasn't full :lol: no where near.

Anyway I have a little more confidence my Christmas stout won't be oxidised now, I was assuming as Co2 is heavier than O2 it would be ok.

Am I right in thinking that you just held the bottles up to the tap and filled them? Didn't you use a bottling wand?

I tend to use a bottling wand despite it dripping slightly. Then I use a jug to pour the last bit out of the FV as I bulk prime. I generally put the last bit in different bottles so I know. But I've never had a problem with oxidisation. However I am considering the jug method, especially for my cider.

Am I right in thinking that you just held the bottles up to the tap and filled them? Didn't you use a bottling wand?

I tend to use a bottling wand despite it dripping slightly. Then I use a jug to pour the last bit out of the FV as I bulk prime. I generally put the last bit in different bottles so I know. But I've never had a problem with oxidisation. However I am considering the jug method, especially for my cider.
I use a bottling wand but don't bother with the jug to get the very last out I just put it into a pint glass and sup away...brewer's perk I call it.View attachment uploadfromtaptalk1447190004393.jpg

Latest posts

Back