Brew Books - What's On Your Shelf??

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_20230427_083700.jpg
The books reflect my age apart from the brew dog one !
After a break of over 25 years, I returned to home brewing during the first lockdown.
Things have certainly improved for the home brewer over that time. A lot of the information in the older books is still relevant, I learned a lot, particularly from brewing lager by John Alexander although back in the day there weren't a lot of lager yeasts available !
I loved brewing Dave line's Irish stout, using a starter made from yeast harvested from a Guinness original, (when it was bottled conditioned).🍻

View attachment 84901The books reflect my age apart from the brew dog one !
After a break of over 25 years, I returned to home brewing during the first lockdown.
Things have certainly improved for the home brewer over that time. A lot of the information in the older books is still relevant, I learned a lot, particularly from brewing lager by John Alexander although back in the day there weren't a lot of lager yeasts available !
I loved brewing Dave line's Irish stout, using a starter made from yeast harvested from a Guinness original, (when it was bottled conditioned).🍻
I've got the Brew Classic European Beers at Home book, it has some good recipes. I've also got a different edition of the Dave Line Brewing Beers Like Those You Buy book, I don't think I have actually brewed anything from it, and not sure that I'd want to!

I've got the Brew Classic European Beers at Home book, it has some good recipes. I've also got a different edition of the Dave Line Brewing Beers Like Those You Buy book, I don't think I have actually brewed anything from it, and not sure that I'd want to!
There are quite a few names in there that are long gone, and some that have stood the test of stood the test of time.
Some of the recipes in the book were probably better than the original 😂🍻

I got my copy of Line's "Big Book" in the early to mid seventies when I was living in England. He's the one that kicked off the hobby, a real game changer. That's when I stated Brewing :- going on 50 years!
Charlie Papazian did the same in the States. He wrote two books that I have "Complete Joy of Home brewing" and "The New Complete Joy of Home brewing" Some of his recipes are off the wall in my opinion...like toasted malt in an IPA, but it all had to start somewhere!

I was sent a bunch of old Zymurgy magazines in pdf form, from the late 80s early 90s era, a lot of Papazian articles in them.
I've only glanced at them but there seems to be some interesting recipes I could modernise using Brewfather to suit my equipment.

The use a lot of stuff like klages malt, that I believe is just a 2-row base.

John Palmer - How to Brew,
Stephen Harrod Buhner - Sacred and Herbal Healing Beers
and
Lars Marius Garshol - Historical Brewing Techniques.

I got the last 3 books in the Brewing Classic Styles series in today (Porter, Altbier, Smoked beers) which were getting hard to find in The Netherlands. I now have the full series - something that pleases my lizard brain greatly.

The full collection has also expanded quite a bit since the last post.

Attachments

• 4a70bd4b-6818-48b2-a0de-cb979e74187e.jpeg
    4a70bd4b-6818-48b2-a0de-cb979e74187e.jpeg
    116.8 KB · Views: 1
  • edb4af40-ccf7-418e-a73b-9baf56ec23ad.jpeg
    edb4af40-ccf7-418e-a73b-9baf56ec23ad.jpeg
    126.9 KB · Views: 0
I got the last 3 books in the Brewing Classic Styles series in today (Porter, Altbier, Smoked beers) which were getting hard to find in The Netherlands. I now have the full series - something that pleases my lizard brain greatly.

The full collection has also expanded quite a bit since the last post.
Nice. I need to look into a few of those, smoke and brown ale will be first.

That's a sly old trick by the publisher to number them on the spine, though. 🤣

Latest posts

Back