Brew Books - What's On Your Shelf??

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another couple of hardbacks picked up off eBay. I've been coveting the Bamforth one for a while.
DSC_0017-01.jpeg

It was ok. The recipes are predominantly for extract although alterations for all-grain are given (generally a simple swap for pale extract to pale malt, which I'm not certain would result in the same beer).

Picked this one up yesterday. Mix of history, technique, and recipes.

16993855508736025989054780827353.jpg

So glad I didn't lose this book!
From when Boots had their own winemaking & homebrew department!
Published in 1982

Attachments

• IMG_20231108_202347.jpg
    IMG_20231108_202347.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 0
Just had a flick through the contents.
Beers in the one on the left appear to be "steep & sugar" with massive quantities of crystal/roast/chocolate malt & Lbs of sugar.
One on the right appears to be a classic "will it brew" of botanicals.

Right now I don't think I'll attempt any beers, but may chance a demijohn or 2 of odd wine.

This is an interesting read. Its intended audience is brewers of hoppy IPAs or NEIPAs but the well researched information in it gets you thinking no matter what you brew. Its quite technical as in it talks about the many hop oils, both the ones you'd recognise (geraniol, linalool, humulene etc.) and the less well known, to me at least (citronellol, alpha-terpinol etc.). What's really revealing is which hops work well at the various stages in brewing. It talks about transfer rate which is how much of the various hop oils each hop releases into the wort and some hops that are high alpha have low transfer rates and vice versa. The amount of hop flavour that boils off is interesting too, some losing 80% after a 15 minute boil. Only a few chapters in but I think it will help me build a kind of hopping structure so I can build recipes that target flavour profiles.

IMG_6107.jpg

Bavarian Helles:History, Brewing techniques, Recipes.

Aimed squarely at the North American market so you need to make allowances for that with Gallons and pounds and ounces etc. Interesting back story and how its made (plus the story of Radler). About half way through it, so not up to the recipes yet but learning a lot.

Not sure I can forgive the author (and the people who proofread it) for saying that a shandy is a mixture of beer and ginger beer !!!! Yak. Did some googling and came across "If you want a traditional British shandy then its 50:50 mix of beer and soda water". No its not.

Dear Internet,

Please be aware that a shandy is a mixture of beer (or lager if its a lager shandy) and LEMONADE. Not soda water, not soda and lime, not ginger beer and not ginger ale.

Regards,

UK.

Has anyone received Modern Lager Beer yet? Was due for release and dispatch on 1st April. Amazon have told me expected delivery is some point in May to October.
I went to order that 🤷🏻
WHSmith seem to say 1-2 weeks , I have a few books I haven't read yet so I think I will wait a bit.

Back