Brew day - Dark Island from the Orkney Brewery - with pics

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had my first taste of the Dark Island brew tonight......couldn't wait...
Bottled on the 28th March..... and it shows...
Nice psst on opening and even a bit of gunsmoke evident. However it poured out with only a small head and had little carbonation.
Taste wise its wonderful and malty nothing harsh and has a sort of " chewy" flavour to it.

Needs another 2 weeks at least me thinks

If you need a second opinion I am more than willing to help. :whistle: :whistle:

I suspect that it may be because of the air pressure on that side of the Pennines. I think you need a fresh moist Atlantic breeze to help with head formation, which is fortunately found in Manchester :lol: :lol:

If I was sure my brew would be worthy, to lay on the pallet of my learned friend I would without doubt forward a sample to him,
However at the moment it would be an insult to his finely attuned taste buds and an embarrassment to myself, so unfortunately I must suffer the trial and tribulations of several tasting sessions before any conclusions are reached.

how about sending some to an unlearned stranger?

m in the sunny (HAHA) south coast, the English channel air will bring out a good head (oh er)

what a difference a week makes.
Dark Island fully carbonated nice little head and a good clean malty taste, a very slight cloudiness which is to be expected as its still quite a young beer.
Nothing harsh in the taste which my son said had a good licorice flavor.
I had a half pint glass and was still enjoying the taste in my mouth 20-30 mins afterwards....

:clap:

PD

Latest posts

Back