Brew-evening - Lingonberry WOW

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Razor

Bearded Brewer
Reaction score
This is my first one of these but I thought I would share it with you all in case anybody else wants to try it and maybe get some pointers for my next WOW.

Ingredients
1L Red grape juice
1L Apple juice
500ml IKEA Lingonberry drink concentrate
745g White sugar (based on 800g from another thread minus the sugar from the Lingonberry Syrup.)
A cup of strong (2bag) tea
1tsp dried yeast
1tsp yeast nutrient
1tsp pectolase (not sure if I even needed this but I figured it couldn't hurt too much)

Method
1.Make the tea and the yeast starter.
2.Put the bottle of Lingon syrup in some warm water to loosen it up a bit for pouring.
3.Heat 1L AJ in a pan just enough to dissolve the sugar.
4.Pour the AJ and syrup into sterilised DJ, swish some water around the syrup bottle to get it all out and add that.
5.Pour in the RGJ and tea, add tsp of pectolase and shake or stir to mix.
6.Add about half a litre of water check temp and OG reading.
7.Pitch yeast starter and top up with more water if needed then shake or stir.

I estimate 1061g of sugar in this not sure how much of that is fermentable.
It seems to be a nice dark red colour at the minute. I hope it doesn't lighten too much.

OG 1.128 @ 20°C
Est. ABV at 1.000 16.8%

Thanks for reading.

Edit *I don't know why all my pics are sideways.*

IMG_8780-1.jpg

IMG_8781.jpg

IMG_8783.jpg

IMG_8784.jpg

IMG_8785.jpg

IMG_8782.jpg

IMG_8788.jpg

Looking good mate, maybe try turning your phone round landscape stylee for piccies !

I think my Polish shop does a clingonberries syrup, might try it

>16% 😎 hard-core dude 😀

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Looking good mate, maybe try turning your phone round landscape stylee for piccies !

I think my Polish shop does a clingonberries syrup, might try it

>16% 😎 hard-core dude 😀

Thanks Roddy. I've never seen Lingonberry anywhere but IKEA.
Do you think I added too much sugar?

Ah no sorry it was chokeberry I was thinking of..

If you were after a strong brew then you're cool, but obviously if you wanted less abv then a bit less sugar would do it 😀

Ah no sorry it was chokeberry I was thinking of..

If you were after a strong brew then you're cool, but obviously if you wanted less abv then a bit less sugar would do it 😀

Ah OK. Don't think I've ever had chokeberry.
I'd no idea how strong it was going to be it was really just a test to see what it would be like and how it would taste.

Be interested to hear dude, I have an ikea nearby 😀

Be interested to hear dude, I have an ikea nearby 😀

Well if the sample I took for the OG is anything to go by apart from being rediculously sweet it did taste good.
How long does it usually take for your WOWs to ferment down roughly?

A couple of weeks usually 😎

Ah OK. Don't think I've ever had chokeberry.
I'd no idea how strong it was going to be it was really just a test to see what it would be like and how it would taste.
Hi Chokeberry can be rather bitter. I have used a part bottle along with IKEA blueberry in a mixed Turbo Cider:thumb:IKEA also do a Elderflower as well,might be ok for wine!

Thanks Roddy. I've never seen Lingonberry anywhere but IKEA.
Do you think I added too much sugar?
I make it 1080g which is spot on for 12% ABV, the
strength I make all my WOWs. Please let us know how it
turns out, I would be interested in trying this if it's a
success.
GOP

OG 1.128 to 1.00 with youngs dried active yeast? Not going to happen, you better put a better a high abv yeast in, like gv4 or harris (18%). Dried active will only get to 10% max on a very good day. Like the idea though, must put ikea juice concentrates on my list.

OG 1.128 to 1.00 with youngs dried active yeast? Not going to happen, you better put a better a high abv yeast in, like gv4 or harris (18%). Dried active will only get to 10% max on a very good day. Like the idea though, must put ikea juice concentrates on my list.

I actually picked up some GV4 earlier today. I take it that there would be no problem pitching a few grams dry onto the surface of the wine?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I actually picked up some GV4 earlier today. I take it that there would be no problem pitching a few grams dry onto the surface of the wine?

Yeah sprinkle in, hopefully will quickly become the dominant yeast. Although it says its low foam not that low like the harris 18% yeast.

It's been 4 weeks. The airlock activity is a bubble every 2.5 or more minutes took a reading today somewhere around 1038/1040 which gives me 11.5%. What do you think bottle it or see if I can ferment it out more. According to the ABV calculator it's about 66% apparent attenuation. Is this low? Thanks

IMG_8920.jpg

It's finally done after 6 weeks & 5 days. Finished at 1.034 12.34%. The wee glass of extra tastes good. It also seems fairly clear without adding anything.

e2c685b3f92bc8870b62645b0d684f99.jpg

f19f9505071dea1017a37aff6da0a4d3.jpg

It's finally done after 6 weeks & 5 days. Finished at 1.034 12.34%. The wee glass of extra tastes good. It also seems fairly clear without adding anything.

Oh my, 1.034 I bet it's really sweet. Did you sorbate it? I think that it was on a slow ferment if the gv4 took.

Oh my, 1.034 I bet it's really sweet. Did you sorbate it? I think that it was on a slow ferment if the gv4 took.

It is a bit sweet but that helps hide the strongish alcohol taste. Do you mean potassium sorbate to stop the yeast? I haven't put anything in it since the GV4. I think fermentation was finished cos it's been sitting at 1034 for about a week now.

It is a bit sweet but that helps hide the strongish alcohol taste. Do you mean potassium sorbate to stop the yeast? I haven't put anything in it since the GV4. I think fermentation was finished cos it's been sitting at 1034 for about a week now.

Yes potassium sorbate. A week isn't very long once you get above a certain abv', keep an eye on the corked bottles as they will pop, keep upright, or on the safe side pour them all out in a dj and add k.sorbate and rebottle. Or drink them all as quickly as possible :)

Back