Brewdog - DIYDog

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Their Imperial Stout has something like 14k of grain for 20l. My pump had fun with that while mashing last night......
Yep, I didn't put any into a brew calculator but having made 20 litres of Belgian ale at a potential target of 7.5% abv using 7kg of grain and getting 1.070 OG at 85% mash efficiency.
They must get very poor efficiency using double the grain I used.

I thinks it is most definitely been done with PR and marketing in mind. However, home brewers and LHBS are also mutually benefitting, and that can only be a good thing.

I thinks it is most definitely been done with PR and marketing in mind. However, home brewers and LHBS are also mutually benefitting, and that can only be a good thing.

Will home brewers make more beer? I doubt it. And will the beer be better than the beer they would have made without the publication of the recipes? Certainly not in the case of the recipes that are wrong. Maybe we should create a list of Brewdog recipes that are safe to use.

Will home brewers make more beer? I doubt it. And will the beer be better than the beer they would have made without the publication of the recipes? Certainly not in the case of the recipes that are wrong. Maybe we should create a list of Brewdog recipes that are safe to use.

I agree with that. LHBS will certainly benefit if someone buys 12kg of grain for a beer that IMHO requires half that! How about if anyone queries a recipe they post on here, and anyone with brewing software etc. runs it through to see how it comes out?

Would some of the recipes that are wrong, work better in extract form. Converting the base malt then use all other malts in Steeping form, or would this drastically change the abv and overall outcome of the beer

It seems remarkably careless of them to publish messed up quantities, given their skill in marketing and branding. It's a generous gesture, a big decision, so why carry it out in a haphazard, quality control free manner? Is it a clever ploy to look like the blokes brewing in a shed who aren't too good with numbers? :-)

I'd bet that LHBS have seen a spike in interest since the publication though. I'd also wager that it's inspired a few newbies to give it a go and a few dormant brewers back into it.

I'd bet that LHBS have seen a spike in interest since the publication though. I'd also wager that it's inspired a few newbies to give it a go and a few dormant brewers back into it.

Yeah you might be right.

Yep, I didn't put any into a brew calculator but having made 20 litres of Belgian ale at a potential target of 7.5% abv using 7kg of grain and getting 1.070 OG at 85% mash efficiency.
They must get very poor efficiency using double the grain I used.

The Imperial Stout grain bill looks like a straight forward transposition error on the Dark Crystal Malt (in Kilos), as the weight in pounds looks far more realistic.

They were probably too busy spitting at pictures of Corporate Whores, or 'keeping it real' to concentrate..

The HB forums certainly have. I was on HBT yesterday and one of the mods told me she had spent most of her time since it was published merging all the threads their forumites were creating. In the end I think their mod team just gave up and are now just locking any and all brewdog threads :lol:

I got off lightly here we've only had 7-8 threads started here (so far)

I'm just drinking a Punk IPA, it's an earthy smell and flavour but not as good as the bottle I had yesterday. I'm brewing a wheat beer as we speak but I'll definitely give one of these recipes a go.

I want to see how close I can get to their original punk ipa and libertine black ale (a black ipa really).

Their hopping is interesting to me. I like hoppy beers (and really dark beers) and have enjoyed the young's ipa and now apa kits which have between a 1.5-2.5g (I think) per pint dry hop, some of their recipes are at least double that...

Yeah and looking at #25 how to disappear completly IBU at 198. Is that for real?! 250g acculative total of hops.

The more I look, the more out of left field they get. I can see BD now, giggling quietly, thinking let's see how many try this one.....

I've sent a comment to their website page that covers the release of the recipes, which they will review before posting. There are about 200 comments so far but none that point out the mistakes, so it looks like they are not posting anything that brings the problems to peoples' attention. Which is fine, if they are addressing the problems for a re-release. But why not acknowledge the fact and say things are being sorted?

Apparently Brewdog has challenged the dynamics of capitalism by publishing its recipes:

http://www.theguardian.com/commenti...volution-is-at-the-vanguard-of-postcapitalism

Interesting comment underneath the article:

"This entire article could be replaced with just half a sentence from it "BrewDog, a privately owned company currently trying to raise £25m in equity from ordinary punters, needs publicity right now "

There seems to be a fair amount of negativity and cynicism regarding this release from BD. The fact of the matter is that BD actively promote homebrewing and craft beer. You can feel their enthusiasm when you visit any of their bars or speak to their staff. Their view is simple really ... if more people drink craft beer, more will buy craft beer.

I recently met one of their brewers at a (Cloudwater/Brewdog) tasting session at BD Leeds. He freely shared recipes and brewing tips with me and later posted me a 2kg selection of their hops!

Personally, I've got a lot of respect for them. :thumb:

And, don't purely judge BD from the beers they sell in the major supermarkets i.e. Punk IPA, 5am Saint and Dead Pony. Try any of their amplified range which are all exceptional beers (especially Tokyo, amazing stuff!).

Anyway, my next 3 beers are already planned... Brewdog Hardcore IPA (this weekend), Elvis Juice, then Tokyo (with a few litres set aside to freeze and make Tactical Nuclear Penguin!)

Latest posts

Back