Brewferm 'Christmas'

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adamw

Reaction score
I've decided to purchase Brewferm's Christmas edition, only a kit as I'm a newbie and this will be my forth kit.

After reading the instructions, they inform me not to add any sugar at any point during the process from fermenting to putting in the keg, no sugar at all.

Does this sound right ?
Has anyone brewed this up ?

Love to know before I start it up, don't want to spoil it before it even gets going.

Cheers.

:drink:

Yes - correct - no sugar. When you first taste a sample it will b very sweet, and it will be bottled a FG 1.020, again no sugar, there's enough in there to carbonate. Hoefully mine will be ready for Christmas!

BTW FORGET about kegging, this will have to be bottled. Suggest you find some 330 ml bottles

RobWalker said:
Sounds like the sugar's already in there, it's a premium kit after all. It won't be ready for christmas though, just so you're aware...

this is just a 1 can kit, nto a 2 can premium kit. No sugar is included, it is just brewed very short, to about 8 - 9 litres i think.

I repeat what Klaus says, this will not be ready for Christmas this year, if that was your plan. I did mine in July, and had a sample of it in Septamber. I tohught it was pretty awful, but i had anotehr sample acouple of weeks ago and it was much better. Should be good by christmas.

I bottled mine mid-october so by those measures it's going to be touch-and-go for a christmas tipple...

...never mind, this weeks bottling of the Burton Bridge Porter should be a pretty decent stand in if it's not quite "there".

Test bottle of Christmas opened after 7 weeks...

...I'm looking forward to Christmas. It's a winner! Not as much carb as I would like but just enough to make it feel nice, dark, strong, a lovely sweetness, masses and masses of flavour.

:party: :party:

:cheers:

Going to struggle to keep this stuff beyond Christmas. Guess I'll just have to get next Christmas's Cristmas brewed just after this Christmas's Christmas is drunk! :drink: :drunk:

Tasted mine after a month (mid Nov) but it was a bit of a waste, not much carb, but very strong and sweet. Next bottle I will crack open on Christmas eve - bet it will be nicely carbonated. Definitely something to brew in summer and put it away in a cool place!

Nickthetrick - it's a Barley Wine style, only better!

Due to circumstances, not a lot of "Christmas" got drunk over Christmas, most of it is still in storage.

One bottle that made it back into the warm, however, stayed there for the best part of a month and got imbibed last night.

What a difference!!! It was good before Christmas but this bottle was something else entirely. Lovely head which lasted about half the glass, far better fizz, much more rounded and mellow flavour letting more of the spiciness through.

Got plenty left for next Christmas so I'll be brewing another of these soon for Christmas '13!!!

Latest posts

Back