Brewferm Pils - first time brewer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajimmyv

Reaction score
I decided to start my homebrewing experience with a Brewferm Pils kit.

I've had it in the barrel for about 6 days now and have noticed a massive drop off in the bubbles coming through the airlock.

For the first few days it was bubbling up every few minutes but now nothing - does this mean there's a problem? The instructions say to leave it in the barrel for 10 days or until the bubbles stop.

Should I panic? I don't have a very warm room in the house but it's about 3 feet from a radiator in the warmest room in the house, it's not cold but not at the plus 20 degrees all the time.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

James

Sounds like it's finished fermenting to me. If you have a hydrometer, take a reading. It should be around 1008-1014.

If you haven't, don't worry. It sounds completely normal. Leave it for a couple of days for the yeast to do it's housekeeping and then bottle or keg.

Hi James,

Thanks for that - don't have a hydrometer thingy yet as I thought I'd see if I enjoyed making this stuff before I bought all the kit.

I was planning on bottling it this weekend so you reckon it should be fine to do that?

Also the recipie says to add more sugar before bottling (around 165g) - would it be safe for me to add this sugar, dissolved in a small amount of water into the barrell before I bottle it up?

James

Yep, you should be fine for this weekend.

This extra sugar allows the yeast to carry on fermenting and produces CO2 to protect the beer and slightly carbonate it so it doesn't taste flat.

If you boil some water, mix the sugar in, let cool a bit and then stir into the beer. Mix quite well, then bottle.

Alternatively, just add 1/2 tsp of sugar to the bottle when you've put the beer in. This is what I do. I find it gives a better guarantee of consistant carbonation.

Perfect! thanks for the advice.

I'm planning on doing a ginger beer this weekend after I've bottle this one up. Quick question, will adding honey to the mix add a honey flavour or will it just disapear as the sugar is fermented? If it's ok to add, how much shall I add in order to make a noticeable difference to the flavour?

I can't answer that, I've never brewed with honey. I'm sure someone will be along shortly to let you know though.

Iv brewed with honey once in a belgian ale & have plans to brew a honey ale in the future someything like waggledance, I reckon there is no doubt that using honey adds honey flavour :grin: & in my opinion is lovely in beer, honey & ginger sounds an interesting combination Im sure I have seen a Mead recipe with ginger. i would love to know what proportion of honey to add to ale so as to get a nice ballence, Anyone know :thumb: :?: :cheers:

Latest posts

Back