Brewing Kveik IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bengee

Reaction score
Hi. I started my latest brew yesterday: Kveik IPA. I was told that the yeast is very lively - a friend of mine brewed this IPA before, and fermentation only took 2 days. I imagine mine will take at least a week
When I do transfer to my corny, what pressure should I keep it at?
Anyone have any tips/good experiences with this brew?

Thanks

If it's Kveik (and depending on the type) I'd imagine it's well done after a week. If you have the ability then take two samples in two consecutive days to check the gravity.
I do the shake method for Kveik beers because you can drink it practically straight away. Loads of videos on YouTube showing how to do this.

thanks for the tip.
It has been sat in my fermenter for just shy of 2 weeks - I'm waiting for the krausen to disappear - it has gone down a lot, for 4in to probably 5-8mm. i'm tempted to keg it as fermentation seems to have well and truly stopped.
I havent checked gravity yet - was waiting for krausen to go, if i had a tap on the bottom of the fermenter it'd be easy, but i dont. When i scoop out a sample to check the gravity i get some of the krausen, so then have to get rid of that so i can take a reading.......a bit of a faff :(
Is there a better way to take a reading?
Should i keg?
I attach a pic of what it looks like
1700211091049.jpeg

An upside-down bottling wand can be used as a thief if you have one handy.
I've never seen kveik krausen that thick after a couple of weeks. Did you temp control it (what I've always done) or just a room temp?

An upside-down bottling wand can be used as a thief if you have one handy.
I've never seen kveik krausen that thick after a couple of weeks. Did you temp control it (what I've always done) or just a room temp?
just room temp, i'm still relatively new to this brewing lark ;).
think i'll invest a few quid in a turkey baster.
Do you think i should wait till krausen disappears?

just room temp, i'm still relatively new to this brewing lark ;).
think i'll invest a few quid in a turkey baster.
Do you think i should wait till krausen disappears?
Not sure to be honest. I put together a fridge for temp control before I started using kveik so don't have any experience with leaving it at room temp. That's why I was asking but I'm sure someone else will be in the know. Though after two weeks I'd be very surprised if it wasn't ready to be packaged up.

It's done, if you look at FG. But there are some byproducts that yeast could reabsorbs. Like diacetyl (see diacetyl rest). If you wait more two weeks, I'm sure it would be a lot better. I've brewed with Voss Kveik a couple of times.

I've been brewing with Kveik Hornindal for a few months, some temp controlled and some not, I'd honestly say it's down to personal preference at the end of the day.

My temp controlled beers have been bottled after a week in the fv and have been very clearly finished, the room temp ones I've given two weeks, both have been great, the room temp ones seem to have a more layered and complex flavour in my opinion.

But even in a fairly cool living room, left to their own devices, they were almost certainly done several days before bottling.

So far, from my own experience, it's pretty hard to go wrong using kveik.

Just brewed a Hornindal brew yesterday absolute ripper fermentation looks to be pretty much done in less than 24 hours. Will let it sit for another week.

Screenshot_20240203_182604_Brewfather.jpg

Latest posts

Back