Brewing sugar v STD sugar

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrWoolf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
having read a number of posts about vairious recipes that have been created - i have newbie Q1 -

Are there any benifits to using brewing sugar over normal sugar?

having read a number of posts about vairious recipes that have been created - i have newbie Q1 -

Are there any benifits to using brewing sugar over normal sugar?

With wine/cider other than brewing sugar emptying your pocket faster not a huge amount unless you are using a lot at once.

Table sugar 50p per kilo, brewing sugar £2.00 per kilo, some folk say they can taste a slight difference between them, general consensus would suggest otherwise though and homebrewing quantities are overall quite small when you are combining it with grape juice which can be quite high in sugar content.

sucrose, aka white table sugar is a complex sugar made from 2 monosaccharides glucose and fructose. and iirc an errant oxygen

brewers sugar/candy is either an invert (sucrose cracked into the 2 simple sugars) or a single monosaccharide probably glucose

you can invert your own sugar by heating a solution with citric acid.

some report a cidery taste using sucrose,

imho the only real difference is the monosacharides will get fermented a bit quicker perhaps shaving 12 hours off primary, with sucrose the yeast will 1st need to much the 2 sugars apart and then consume them.

Table sugar 50p per kilo, brewing sugar ����£2.00 per kilo, some folk say they can taste a slight difference between them, general consensus would suggest otherwise though and homebrewing quantities are overall quite small when you are combining it with grape juice which can be quite high in sugar content.

Ah right i see, just starting with a kit so didnt think about the natural sugar in the juice. - More reading required

Thanks

Back