Bulldog Evil dog double IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ClarenceBoddicker said:
Just want to run some 'New Bloke' logic past someone: I will check gravity on Friday (10 days) and if it's where it should be I want to add the hops at day 12, leave until day 14 and then put finings through it for 2 days, rack and batch prime before bottling half and putting half in barrel. Does this sound like sense? Obviously if the gravity is off I'll wait and probably repeat the process the week after.

:cheers:

Don't rush it, even when you have the FG it doesn't do any harm to leave the yeast to clear up after itself resulting in a clearer beer and you won't need finings. I've never used finings in beer/ale, only in wine.
IMHO I'd rack it, I had a LOT of **** on the bottom of the FV, get it off the dead yeast and leave it another week, 2 days before you intend to bottle/keg then put the hops in.
Don't get hung up on what the instructions say, patience is the key. I usually leave my brews in the FV for about 3 weeks, racking once then again into the bottling bucket.

It won't come to any harm :thumb:

I'm usually 14-18 days but looking at it now I will be about 3 whole weeks at least

OK, cheers gents - patience is clearly key here. Looking forward to 3 weeks away in April to stop myself messing about with stuff and just let my 3 brews condition nicely for me coming back. No doubt I'll have more questions between now and then.

Took a hydrometer reading yesterday (day 12) and it is down to 1003 which works out at about 8.3%ABV! :party:

There is still a thick yeasty head on top tho so may drop even more :shock:

Going to see how it looks on Tuesday and may add the hops then :thumb:

mattyhall22 said:
Took a hydrometer reading yesterday (day 12) and it is down to 1003 which works out at about 8.3%ABV!

Blimey! Mine was at 1008 on day 12 when I checked Saturday. Racked it to secondary and it's still bubbling away. Started 1067 so 7.9 already? Going to hop this Friday providing it calms down, then bottle on Monday. It tastes very good even without hopping or carbonation. I could've supped a pint on Saturday quite happily. Didn't though.

ClarenceBoddicker said:
mattyhall22 said:
Took a hydrometer reading yesterday (day 12) and it is down to 1003 which works out at about 8.3%ABV!

Blimey! Mine was at 1008 on day 12 when I checked Saturday. Racked it to secondary and it's still bubbling away. Started 1067 so 7.9 already? Going to hop this Friday providing it calms down, then bottle on Monday. It tastes very good even without hopping or carbonation. I could've supped a pint on Saturday quite happily. Didn't though.

I made the mistake 2 weeks ago week of bottling this to early just last week I was down to 1008 and although it didn't move I bottled it. Only 3 days later all of my plastic tester bottles were rock hard. Had friends round drinking my st paddys celebration stout and decided to open one later on in the night,after a few beers. As soon as the cap came off it was like mentos and diet coke. I had about 2cm left in the bottom of the bottle when it finished, luckily SWIMBO was to busy laughing at my soaking wet clothes to care too much about the sitting room LOL. :whistle:

Immediately put them in the cold and opened one a week later as I was worried about bottle bombs and they had calmed down luckily.
:thumb:
I had this in the FV for over 3 weeks. So it is a long one and I admit I got impatient.

I would just give it a couple of more days after you think it has finished to make sure.

The I got to try on sunday was nice in the sun though :drink:

Cool I will leave it another week then, just checked today and is still at 1003, tasted the sample jar and it is lovely, smells awesome and has quite light summery taste. Definitely doesn't taste like a skull cracker (which is always good) :party:

Back from a couple of days away and the bubbling has stopped. Still at 1.008 so steeped hop teabags in a mug of boiling water and added the lot once cooled with a gentle stir. Bottling on Monday which is 3 weeks since I started it.

Had a great Brewery tour whilst away in Ardennes at La Chouffe. After trying their 9% Houblon Chouffe IPA again I'd love to try and get somewhere near that flavour in the future with a massive smack of hops. :drink:

Cold crashed mine for 2 days and bottled it today in a variety of bottle sizes, 250,275, 330 ml for sensible days and 500ml for parties lol :cheers:

Ended up at 8.3%ABV :rofl:

Bottled it yesterday and I have to say was well impressed with the flavour (had to sample :oops: ) - nice fruity notes with refreshing aroma. And now, the waiting game starts... Four Finger Jack already bubbling away, hope it will take a bit less time to ferment hehe

I'm picking up mine on Monday, I've never been so excited about a kit before. :D It sounds like Razorback but on steroids! :eek:

mattyhall22 said:
Cold crashed mine for 2 days and bottled it today in a variety of bottle sizes, 250,275, 330 ml for sensible days and 500ml for parties lol :cheers:

Ended up at 8.3%ABV :rofl:

Is there an idiots guide RE crash cooling? Its something I've never done but I'm always up for fine tuning my brews :cheers:

Lee I just put it in my garage for a couple of days the temp was about 7ish degrees. It cleared up really well. The pic below is of a bottle not quite two weeks after bottling and its crystal clear :).
papumyra.jpg

Back