Burco Cygnet MFCT1030 boilers

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevekind

Reaction score
Hi - I hope folk won't mind me dropping in here for a bit of advice. I have read that some home brewers use the Burco 30 litre boiler - sold as a hot water boiler - for brewing. I am wondering if anyone one her has used one? I don't want to use it for brewing, but for pasteurising bottles of fruit juice and jars of preserves as the boiler is *much* cheaper to buy than a pasteuriser. From what I have read, the temperature control is adequate but I do not know if it would be safe to stand jars and bottles in it - or if the water bath is deep enough for 750cl bottles.

I anyone has one I'd be very grateful for any advice. Especially if you could confirm if it has a solid floor rather than an open element, and what the depth of the water bath is. If anyone has actually used one for preserving that would be even better :)

Thanks for reading

Steve

Hi - I hope folk won't mind me dropping in here for a bit of advice. I have read that some home brewers use the Burco 30 litre boiler - sold as a hot water boiler - for brewing. I am wondering if anyone one her has used one? I don't want to use it for brewing, but for pasteurising bottles of fruit juice and jars of preserves as the boiler is *much* cheaper to buy than a pasteuriser. From what I have read, the temperature control is adequate but I do not know if it would be safe to stand jars and bottles in it - or if the water bath is deep enough for 750cl bottles.

I anyone has one I'd be very grateful for any advice. Especially if you could confirm if it has a solid floor rather than an open element, and what the depth of the water bath is. If anyone has actually used one for preserving that would be even better :)

Thanks for reading

Steve

I have one & have had no problems, however I would state that the thermostat is at the bottom so would wonder is stacking with bottles and jars may hold the heat close to the therm and cause a cutout, although I am guessing you are not wanting to maintain a rolling boil, so expect you will be ok. As for deep enough for 750ml bottles without measuring one I can't tell you, the boiler only boils safely (without a lid) 27 litres, I am told 1 litre = 1cm of liquid so 27cm (not verified but I am guessing that's not too far off), the bottom is solid and flat (the element is not in the boiling chamber).

I hope that helps a little.

Thanka ao much foer thw reply - taken the plunge and ordered one - the depth is going to be adequate . I will have to try and find an appropriate sized trivet for the bottom, as water circulation needs to be maintained in pasteurising - the gap under the trivet will solve the thermostat issue hopefully. :) All being well, that is £140 saved compated to the cost of a Vigo pasteuriser :grin:

Latest posts

Back