Burco on the blink

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hobbsy83

Reaction score
Hello all,

Just wondering if there was anyone who could help me out with a burco/cygnet boiler issue.

I've not brewed for a long time, maybe 9/10 months, I had planned to get back on it this weekend. However, after digging out the Burco from the garage, I plugged it in and the red 'boil' light is flickering on and off. Might stay steady for 30 seconds, then flicker and shut off, then will come back.

I'm not great with electrics, tried the usual stuff (fuse, new cable) but no joy.

Has anyone had a similar issue? or is it time to buy a new one?

ta

Paul

Firstly take the bottom of and see if there are any loose connections. I am sure someone better qualified than me will be along soon to help. Some people who have had problems with them cutting out have moved the sensor slightly away from the base. Should be fixable not much to go wrong with them i would of thought. Still my 40year+ one went wonky in the end.

An obvious question, but did you reset it? I have a Cygnet (which I believe is the same if not similar) and there's a reset button on the base.

Also, I assume you're just testing it? Did you put enough water in? I think they have an auto-cut-off if water level is too low.

Thanks for the suggestions chaps.

I removed the base, there was a little bit of corrosion on the connectors going to the element, disconnected these and cleaned them up with some wire wool. Also checked all the other connectors but they seem ok. Will move the sensor and see what happens. Although I'd have thought that the green 'keep warm' light would have come on if it was the sensor, rather than the whole thing shutting off.

Tried the reset several times, and I was running it whilst full up (makes pressing the reset button a bit tricky!)

If it was a faulty element could that cause the power to cut out do you think? Hoping it's not as it doesn't look like it can be replaced.

ta

Back