Calcium addition for bitter

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm a new 10 liters stove top brewer. SMASH usually.
Love a good bitter. I live in Scotland and although I haven't had my water analyzed I know it's soft.

I'm keeping it simple as possible so; how, what, much and when, should I add to my brew to help with a good water balance.

Thanks in advance.

Reply with the postcode of a nearby tesco or garage or something and we can do the rest.

Maltmiller DWB will most likely be a simple addition.

I'm not going to bite your hand for saying "soft water" (I usually do), but here it's telling me the water has "nowt much in it". Do as we always used to decades ago ... In a mash for five imperial gallons: 1 good teaspoon of gypsum, 1/2 teaspoon of Epsom salt, a good pinch o' salt.

That's virtually the same as DWB (but cheaper). But answer @MashBag and he might come up with something more accurate.

Last edited:
Scottish water report a calcium value of 10 for that location.

By my calculations (to be fair Murphy's) I would use 25g of DWB.

The maths says 25g - 36g is required for an IPA/Best bitter style beer. Start low.

While you are on Malt Miller can you get some batteries for Peebee's calculator, my inner Scotsman if screaming about his waton disregard for the pennies 😁😁

Last edited:
Scottish water report a calcium value of 10 for that location.

By my calculations (to be fair Murphy's) I would use 25g of DWB.

The maths says 25g - 36g is required for an IPA/Best bitter style beer. Start low.

While you are on Malt Miller can you get some batteries for Peebee's calculator, my inner Scotsman if screaming about his waton disregard for the pennies 😁😁
Many thanks
25g - 36g is for what amount of beer?
I brew 10 liters at a time.
Thanks again

That sounds like a lot of calcium for a 10 litre batch, mine is generally 10 gram for 21 litre and my water is not dissimilar to RO water

"9g of DWB per hl of your brew-length increases calcium levels by 15.6 mg/litre (ppm) and increases chloride levels by 15.4 mg/litre (ppm) and sulphate levels by 32.1 mg/litre (ppm)."

11g in 12L will add 150ppm calcium and 327 Sulphate to the existing water. Perfect for a Bitter and in the range that Murphy's suggest.

Back