Carbonating My Brew

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Verb77

Reaction score
I’m doing a little research towards the carbonation of my brewing. I have recently started doing batch priming and I have to say that it makes the job so much easier and quicker than doing each bottle separately.

But now what I’m after is some advice on possibly switching from plain sugar to brewing sugar or Dry Malt Extract. I’m interested in giving my brew some more body.

Also I’m after some clarification on the amount to be using for the priming of my bottles. I currently use 400ml bottles and I think I keep over carbonating them as they are quite gassy at the start and don’t seem to keep much of a head, but they taste okay.
Are there any standard formulas for this in milliliters or grams?

Any extra info in this area would be very helpful.

Thanks
:pray:

If I am reading this correctly you are asking if the type of brewing sugar you use will effect the body of the beer? The plain answer is no - that amount that you add, even if it is DME, is not enough to significantly effect the malt profile of the beer. Personally I just use plain sugar.

For a kit brewer you have options of using DME instead of sucrose which will add to the beer body. You could also look for a lower attentuating yeast. If you go AG then you can also play with the mash temperature to help reduce the amount of fermentable sugars or you could begin play with crystal malts etc.

Verb77 said:
Also I’m after some clarification on the amount to be using for the priming of my bottles. I currently use 400ml bottles and I think I keep over carbonating them as they are quite gassy at the start and don’t seem to keep much of a head, but they taste okay.
Are there any standard formulas for this in milliliters or grams?

As you are batch priming, the usual guidance is somewhere between 60g and 80g per 23l for a bitter. If I am brewing something for early drinking I will go towards the latter.

I use 1.5 oz ( 42g ) in 23 litres, I think this is under the norm, but I don't like a lot of carbonation and tend to keep my bottles longer as I keg most.. :thumb:

3 heaped teaspoons per 2l bottle seems to have worked well so far for me, mmm will try 2 and a half on the next batch.

Bjorn Toulouse said:
3 heaped teaspoons per 2l bottle seems to have worked well so far for me, mmm will try 2 and a half on the next batch.

If it works well then why change? ;) :drink:

Latest posts

Back