Cheap & Simple Tropical Punch - A BBQ MUST

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Right then, two on the go. Fingers crossed!
Will be drinking them both on 6th June, hopefully be cleared well enough.

Do these sort of brews benefit being in the FV longer? -like i'd keep an ale in 3 weeks to 'clean up'?

Bottled tonight. Resisted the urge of a taste so it's more exciting next saturday. Looking forward to it!

Had my tropical fruit version bottled in the house for a week, just put in the garage for a bit of cooling for another week. Looking forward to trying this if the weather ever gets warmer...

Made 16L of this today, 2 x 8L batch. Per 8L I used 1 1/2 bottles of Robinsons no added sugar Fruit and Barley tropical juice, 800g of sugar, 1 1/2 tsp of yeast Nutrient, 2 x tsp of glycerin and 1 1/2 tsp of Wilko Express wine yeast compound. Both DJ's are about 27c so I'll leave them until this evening before I pitch the yeast. I'm planning to leave it 3 weeks and then bottle with 1 1/2 tsp of sugar per litre bottle. Straight on the heels of this this I'm going to do an 8L Summer fruits version and an 8L Apple and pear version. I've left a fair bit of room at the top of the DJ so I'm going to top up with fresh tropical juice in about ten days when the fermentation starts to die down. The bottles of Robinson are 74p in Tesco now, my sugar is 49p kg in Lidll so all in all 8L is costing about £2 and with any luck it should be about 10%. At 25p a Litre even if it's a complete disaster, which I'm pretty sure it won't be, what a fantastic result.

Just an update on this, the Wilko express wine compound did nothing after 24 hours even with me adding another 1/2 tsp of Yeast Nutrient. Hence it's now in the bin, so I had a rummage around in the fridge and found a couple of Coopers yeasts from previous kits and chucked them in. It's kicked off now, big time fizzing away within an hour and the airlocks are bubbling away.

How have I not seen this thread before - a brew that the wife can get on with! :thumb:

A couple more bits added to my shopping list for tomorrow :-)

This does look nice basically a alcoholic cordial. After my Tc foaming the airlock like mad I am a bit suspect of the 2 inch room to leave from top though as very initial posting suggested. Defo worth a bash though

This does look nice basically a alcoholic cordial. After my Tc foaming the airlock like mad I am a bit suspect of the 2 inch room to leave from top though as very initial posting suggested. Defo worth a bash though

I thought the same Southerton, I left about 4/5 inches and I'll top up with a sugared tropical juice when the fermentation calms down. I'll bottle after three weeks.

To make 10 pints of round about 4% Punch for under £3 you will need....

The quote above is from the first post here.

As most juices require you to drink them within 5 days of opening how long do members find this punch keeps, i was under the impression the alcohol content needs to be above 10% to act as a preservative, can someone advise.

The quote above is from the first post here.

As most juices require you to drink them within 5 days of opening how long do members find this punch keeps, i was under the impression the alcohol content needs to be above 10% to act as a preservative, can someone advise.
Fresh juices yes, but surely not Robinson's diluting juice??

Started a tropical one last night. So hard to get temp to 25 with this heat were having but hope all is well. No bubble activity this morning which I usually get with other brews but foam appearing so hope it will kick off soon

Plan is to get one of these going tonight if I can get the time, will be a challenge getting it down to temp as Southerton said. Got high hopes that this will be good.

I am starting to wonder if boiling the juice really matters so with this weather you could just add together and wack the yeast in. Mine is bubbling away now thank god. I didn't do the yeast like the original poster said I just added a tea spoon to top of brew rather than mixing with water etc.

Well I've got two of these on the go at the moment, just started about ten mins ago. Doing them in ex water 5 litre Pets. I have also got a bottle of Lidl Peach and Barley, for 75p so I'll probably get one of those on the go at the weekend. It's my first foray into this sort of thing so lets keep our fingers crossed.

Also started one tonight, 2.5 litres of summer fruits plus 1kg of sugar to 10litres. Added the yeast and nutrient to a glass of water but it pretty much just stuck to the bottom of the glass, managed to shake it all out into the FV. Hope this goes well.

I'm going to try a "fast and dirty" version too, not going to boil the cordial, and chuck the yeast in dry. (will dissolve the sugar though)

Also started one tonight, 2.5 litres of summer fruits plus 1kg of sugar to 10litres. Added the yeast and nutrient to a glass of water but it pretty much just stuck to the bottom of the glass, managed to shake it all out into the FV. Hope this goes well.
12hours in absolutely nothing happening, no bubbles or even pressure on lid. Will give it a wee shake to try wake those yeasties up!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back