Cheeky Vimto

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Update on "the monster". It's been actually fermenting a week according to bubbles - but checking hydro today for first time it's only dropped 10 points. Tastes absolutely awesome atm - just very slow.

i started one of these on the 13th nov og 1080 and its finishid this morning 19th nov at 1002 -1004 so around 9% i think keeping it warm is the key . my 1st one was done using safale yeast took about 2 weeks . i used super wine yeast this time

Really enjoyed this last time I brewed it so I got a litre of vimto bubbling away on the stove as we speak :)

Or should that be as I type? :wha:

Mine finally finished up yesterday after 4 weeks - well tbh I finished it cause the reading was around the 1.010 mark so added campdens and stabiliser. I also threw a sachet of beer finnings in I had lying around spare. Still tastes good so it seems the energy concentrate in it worked - now to leave it to condition until new year's eve and unleash it on the wife and any random teenagers, nobody is falling early this time mohahaha.

Zaust said:
now to leave it to condition until new year's eve and unleash it on the wife and any random teenagers, nobody is falling early this time mohahaha.

Like it:)
It's potent stuff!! I back sweetened mine with a little vimto before I conditioned it.
The small amount of preservatives left in the vimto i sweetened it with didn't seem to do it any harm as it was nice and fizzy :) :drink:

-Paul

Would any of you recomend adding tea as a tannin to cheeky vimto?
If so, how much and when would you add it?

Thanks muchly

-Paul

Here are some pics of my cheeky vimto...

Boiling the vimto..
IMG-20111206-00259.jpg

All in the Plastic demi-john
IMG-20111206-00260.jpg

Fermenting away :)
IMG-20111211-00263.jpg

It wasn't really doing much fermentation wise until I added half a cup of strong tea 4 days in as a tannin (Thanks aleman for the advice in chat) then it went crazy and tried to climb out of the airlock :/

must have been the slight temp change that set it off.

Despite all the pictures being on their side, I never spilt a drop :D

-Paul

I tried my monster brew last night - it's incredible!! Caffeine kick like a branded energy drink but retaining 9.8% abv and a red bull/vimto flavour (or in other words not bad).

Going to try it again and see if I can get things started quicker than throwing four types of yeast in before I post an updated recipe.

Going to start this today my and do around a 15litre batch.
Is everyone using brewing sugar or just plain old granulated?
Think the misses will love it

when I started brewing wine, I was buying incredibly expensive brewing sugar for my LHBS, then I asked for advice here and was told by Moley in his infinite wisdom not to waste my money when plain old granulated does exactly the same job!! Ergo, I've been using granulated ever since and the wine always tastes great :)

Only started mine on tuesday morning and i have just smelt it and bloody hell it smells strong like wine strong, the hydro reading at the start was 1064 and now its down to 1056 so is defo fermenting amd has a nice head. I havent got a airlock so i just need to check it had started.

Do u think i will need to stop this fermenting or will it stop itself? I dont mind it being strong bit would like to bottle it and for it to be fizzy.

Right, reading this forum has taken hold. As a new brewer decided to throw my own Cheeky Vimto together tonight, a combination of all your offerings:

1L of Cherry Vimto (boiled 15 minutes) let to cool.
250g Dextrose added towards end of boil.
1 Mug of black tea.
3L of Apple juice.
1tsp Young's Super Wine Yeast Compound.

Once it blooms i will top up....

so here goes nothing.

Rob

have to say dead chuffed, this took a couple of days to get going but now its flying along, literally a bubble a second at 18 degrees...

I'm a newbie really, just started brewing in the last few months, started with just basic equipment of 5 gallon fermenter, 6 wine bottles and 5 gallon pressure barrel.

I have now acquired (for free) another 5 gallon fermenter, 3 X 5 Gallon pressure barrels, 13 Demijohns and about 120 wine bottles (and growing).

After a few lager kits and 2 wine kits I wanted to try the Cheeky Vimto, got all the ingredients and started this on Friday. It's fermenting away like a steam train (quicker than the 40 pint lager kit i have on the go also).

Just a bit worried as it looks like the yeast has foamed towards the top of the demijohn and also gone into the airlock slightly.

Has any one else had this amount of activity whilst making this? from previous posts can't see this amount of activity.

*Had some good advice via chat and all seems ok.

Thanks

sorry to be a pest, i used wine yeast and my brew has been going like the clappers.

i used 500g sugar, 1litre boiled vimto, 4 litres applle juice

its og was 1070
and is currently at 1035ish

We are hoping to drink this soonish, so would i be able to bottle it as it is when it say reaches 1.10 on the proviso it gets drank soonish

im thinking of drinking it sunday if its done

Cheers

Can't make my mind up what's wrong with mine, if its to sweet or to strong. Think i will be topping up with a little apple juice when I'm drinking the other bottles.

Does this have to be made in demijohns or can i do it in my FV that i normally do beer kits in?

Latest posts

Back