Christmas Stout Maybe?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bugno

Reaction score
Mashed this tonight, will boil tomorrow. Aiming for 48 lt in the fermenter. Went very smooth. Have Galena hops at 12.6% AA to add tomorrow. Any ideas on how much to add.

9 kg. Maris Otter Pale
1 kg. Roasted Barley
0.5 kg. Crystal Malt
0.5 kg. Pale Chocolate Malt
0.2 kg. Cara-Pils

Yet to be calculated tomorrow, Hops Galena
Yeast : Safale 04

Looks nice

50g at 12.6 will give you 29 IBU in 48L for a 90 min boil

The Oatmeal stout recipes of late have targetted 30 IBU :thumb:

I think thats about the norm for Galena ;) Supposed to be nice and clean, I bet they will be lovely good in a stout.

Bugno - no worries - yep you'll be reet for Christmas, at least you won't have to wait for it to clear :thumb:

Boiled her up today with 50g Galena as suggested. In two fermenters at the mo. I didn't realise it would take so long to bring 50 litre or so to the boil from a very low temp.

IMO the worst part of a brewday is waiting for the boil :lol:

Glad you got in in FV's Bugno :thumb:

Hope it's a good one for you :D

12.6% is a nice low alpha hop . . . I'm still using my 18% Pacific Gem :eek:

I had some of those in stock. What are they like, they're dual purpose. Have you used them for Aroma?

I haven't but I'm planning on using them in a stout, as I reckon the lovely blackberry/blackcurrant flavour they impart will really do the business . . . . I've used them as the bittering hops in pilsners and they are cracking . . . and you need so much less of them than Czech Saaz or Tettnang . . . . . . Accurate weighing is a bit of a problem for 23L batches . . . but as I brew 80L at a time its not all that much of a problem for me :D

Back