CIDER! Abrubt halt to airlock bubbles

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benH24

Reaction score
Morning all
First time brewing cider from my own pressed apples. I have 15 litres of juice sat in a fermentation bucket in my front room (temp gauge 18-20°c) and day 4 it sprang into life releasing through the air lock every 30 seconds or so. Day 5 a.m there was a little but by evening nothing. Now sat on day 6 wondering if something has gone wrong and looking for guidance! For info - Yeast was GV-13, Campden tablets and pectolase were used after pressing and yeast nutrient was also used.

I'm pressing my cider as we speak. Never used Campden tablets as they slow the fermentation and take the colour out of the cider. My advice would be to just put it away and forget about it for several months. but how many Campden tablets did you use? You might need more yeast if you've used too many.

I'm pressing my cider as we speak. Never used Campden tablets as they slow the fermentation and take the colour out of the cider. My advice would be to just put it away and forget about it for several months. but how many Campden tablets did you use? You might need more yeast if you've used too many.
I used 3 ( 1 per 5l as directed) and was the full pack of GV-13

I used 3 ( 1 per 5l as directed) and was the full pack of GV-13
It should be ok, then, especially as there was airlock activity earlier. Did you measure the original gravity? Try tasting it- it won't be very nice at this stage, probably very sharp. If all is well, Cover the airlock with a plastic lunchbag and rubber band in case it dries out and then put it aside for a couple of months. That what I do, anyway.

It should be ok, then, especially as there was airlock activity earlier. Did you measure the original gravity? Try tasting it- it won't be very nice at this stage, probably very sharp. If all is well, Cover the airlock with a plastic lunchbag and rubber band in case it dries out and then put it aside for a couple of months. That what I do, anyway.
Yeah the OG was 1.050

Latest posts

Back