Cider question

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lengie10

Reaction score
Had a batch of cider on since last Thursday. Made it from 20l of AJ, golden syrup, yeast and yeast nutrient and pectolase. Filled recipe from someone on here. Question is....it's not doing a lot. Currently inside at about 20degrees in FV. Opened it briefly and it's smelling cider like but there is nothing like the froth or bubbling that I saw with the beer I recently made? Is this normal? Do I need to do anything??

Cider can take a time to get going. Did you add any Tannin to it? It is likely to taste a bit thin if you added Golden syrup (or sugar) as it will add little flavour and dillute the delicate flavour balance. Adding tannin will give it a little bite. :thumb:

You can buy tannin powder from most homebrew shops and online, or you could use a very very strong cup of tea made with multiple tea bags. It needs to be so strong that you wouldn't want to drink it and then some. :thumb:

If you manage to buy tannin powder then use 1 tsp per gallon. :thumb:

I would say a good 4-5 tea bags in a cup of water, you could also boil it up on the hob that will extract more of the tannin.

Don't add any milk or sugar mind :lol: :lol:

Latest posts

Back