Cider Scratter/ Apple Shredder- Suggestions wanted.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Outlet connector which is a garden hose pipe fitting that screws on to an outside tap

26041138-CA70-4318-8C89-8C8B25B5323A.jpeg

Pressing frame. It was a type of oversized pallet that was used to deliver engineering parts to a site I was working on.

The base to raise it up was made from cut down pallets and odd bits of wood that I had. It’s high enough of the floor to fit a 5l bottled water container underneath.

My outlet pipe ( not photoed) has an inline valve to allow the collection vessel to be emptied during pressing.
36214CF8-AD97-47D8-918C-7486847C52EB.jpeg
704E3F91-6F7F-4DD4-8F98-CB65129C0447.jpeg

Mock set up of pressing.

The large blocks are off cuts of square gate posts.

Note that there is a sacrificial piece of wood between the top of the jack and the cross beam of the frame.

When the press is in actual use, then then bottom board is a circular piece of inch marine ply with a few small wedges cut out of the outer edge to allow the juice to drain to the actual bottom of the bowl.

The top board is a similar piece of marine ply, but just circular.

This will comfortably take around 15kg of scrat in a suitable bag. For the trial I use a previously mentioned spud sack.

with the solid sides on the bowl you can press as fast as you can, because any stray juice hits the sides of the barrel and runs down the inside.

Some scrapyards have beer barrels in them and sell them at a reasonable price. If you buy one via this route, then ask for a receipt of proof of purchase. If you get one via a pub, then ask them for a disposal note.

B4FE0F79-7B68-44B4-BE8F-CB613850E357.jpeg

Here’s the trial pressing on ferment in the cupboard that contains the manifold to my underfloor heating.

I pressed this amount of juice in 20 minutes from two 15kg sacks of scrat.

The ferment vessel is a water vessel that I scrounged off a car show room.

I’m afraid I’m one of life’s tip rats.

D949F202-52D6-47F3-A2F2-76CF7A1B3755.jpeg

Shirley Bassett has messaged me to let me know the keg was bought legitimately so no worries however keg and gas cylinder theft is big business so i will leave this as a warning to members and guests. who may be unaware.

Could i remind members forums like this are often visited by members of Keg Watch.

Kegs are often painted in a certain way to identify them making it easy for them to be spotted.

The message below has been posted here many times as a warning to members and guests i think its worth posting again -

No one in their right mind is going to spend over £100 on a new keg to cut it in half so there is a demand for stolen kegs.

I wouldn't touch anything on eBay or any similar site unless the seller has proof they are allowed to sell the kegs.

As this subject comes up occasionally i will leave this for members new and old to read.

1603544232720.png

WELCOME TO KEGWATCH LIMITED.

Each year the brewing industry loses many millions of pounds through the theft and misappropriation of kegs, casks (containers) and dispense gas cylinders. Keg Watch is the organisation committed to reducing these losses.

Keg Watch is a Trade Association limited by guarantee. We represent the interests of over 1000 members from micro to international brewers, cider makers and the major suppliers of dispense gases to the industry.

The aim of this website is to provide information about Keg Watch to licensees, the industry, the police and the public and to raise awareness of the issues involved.
If you are involved in handling stolen kegs, the penalties are severe.

Keg Watch pays rewards for information leading to the arrest and conviction of those responsible for the theft or unauthorized destruction of containers.

Keg Watch operates a confidential free phone line for any general queries or information you may have, call us on 0808 100 1945.

Are you having problems getting your containers uplifted? Phone Keg Watch now.

https://www.kegwatch.co.uk/

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back