Cleaning glass bottles help

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chrisnewton

Reaction score
Hi all, I always soak my glass bottles in a bath overnight with some steriliser in the water and have never had any issues. However now all my bottles have stains on the outside that I just can't get rid off.

When I scrub them it appears to come off but then when dries it's back again. It looks like dried steriliser to me.

I have attached a picture. Has anyone experienced this before and how the hell can I get them clean?

Thanks all

Chris View attachment uploadfromtaptalk1442151679800.jpg

Afraid this is not much help but I had something similar on the inside of some bottles and on the inside of my FV.
Never did manage to remove it and ended up chucking the bottles and FV. Never had it again and am at a loss as to what caused it.

What did you use to clean themwith. Oxi clean can leave a residue on bottles. Doesn't look like that though, it looks powdery. It's not the actual oxyclean but the calcium out of the water (especially if you've got hard water like me) having reacted with the oxyclean. The advice is to soak them in an acid. Something like star san or citric acid

I just used normal steriliser from home brew shop.. I will try the dishwasher option first.. Try as I might it won't come off by hand

Thanks all, just an update I stuck one in the dishwasher and its come out perfect? So thanks for all your help

Have you tried wire wool with detergent then rinse with lots of water ?

Latest posts

Back