Cleaning !

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DTJ

Reaction score
Hi All

I am hoping for some advise on cleaning, I have a typical 3 vessel set up containing stainless vessels, copper / brass fittings, silicone tubing, a couple of pumps ect. How does everyone go about there cleaning regimes for a set up like this post brew to keep everything in good nick? what are the best cleaning solutions to use that are compatible with the variety of materials involved? and what kind of temps / times are they pumped through in?

From reading around the forum, it seems that oxy cleaners seem to be recommended - which types and what process is best?

Any advise is welcome?

thanks
DTJ

I just use water straight away and if there's any stains etc, I use oxi clean.

my hot side stuff hlt and boiler get a rinse and scrub with water and a poormans scotchbrite (kitchen scrubby sponge).. for the cold side or inbetween equipment, Pump/chiller/tube/and valves, unscented laundry oxi, £shop, But open n sniff to check for No perfume b4 u buy (Each one) for the best vfm £1 per 625g compared to £2.50+ for tesco own brand 1kg and astonish/wilco at £3 per kilo...

metal gets scrubbed plastic gets sponged, pumps valves n tubes are recirculated with warm solution.

water to rinse, and starsan to sanitise..

for really stubborn stains on SS barkeepers friend is an effective scourer, and PBW is an expensive but first class soak solution to remove even beerstone.

and clean on the way out of a brew and clean and sanitise on the way into a brew too,

yes u can spend almost as much time n effort in cleaning and rinsing that brewing :)

Thanks all - I will give oxy a go ! What concentration do you normally use?

Do you not get scratches on your boiler / hlt scrubbing with the kitchen sponge?

I find the sponge goes before the steal :)

I get some right stuff bits sometimes at the bottom of my boiler. After really go at it with the rough side of the sponge. No damage done.

Back