Combi Boiler

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stubrewworx

Regular.
Reaction score
I planned to ask this question on Screwfix but the community site doesn’t send me an email to set up my account. I can’t be arsed trying endless forums, so….

We’re fitting a new kitchen and noticed a flexi hose connecting the water in pipe to the central heating return pipe. One of the valves looks to be closed, so I’m wondering is it needed!

It’s quite pertruding and would take up space under the sink.

Thanks in advance
99950391-464E-4E3A-8648-B516B71AB065.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
If you want to save some space, coil it. But close BOTH VALVES before removing right hand side to put the coil in.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231022-175245_Brave.jpg
    Screenshot_20231022-175245_Brave.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 0
Rapid responses!

Thanks all.

I’ll be back with another plumbing query soon.

Hopefully I’ll be back brewing when the kitchen is sorted.

Good shout that man..
I think the boiler is directly above this picture...and I think it maybe the older type that didn't. Well work checking

I would reroute the condensate pipe too.

Hard to tell from this pic, but I think it might have a filling loop. The boiler was fitted just prior to us getting the property 3 years ago. The fitter probably took easy option during install and left the existing pipework as is?

I'll give them a call as we use them service etc.

Yes the condensate pipe is also being rerouted slightly.

20231025_091137.jpg

You could be right. That white object looks suspiciously like a removable handle for an integral filling loop - our ancient Glow Worm has something similar, albeit blue.

Most boilers have a PDF of the operating instructions available on the web (google the make/model) and, as the filling loop is a user-operable function, it should be widely documented.

Hmm. That confirms my suspictions... That boiler was fitted quickly either by the owner or the plumber who needed to catch a bus, and left the 'old' filling loop.

Tbh I would not want to just remove the flexi and leave it with valves on stalks.

Where is the washer or dishwasher going? Do you need a cold feed near there?

Where is the washer or dishwasher going? Do you need a cold feed near there?
There's an idea. I've just branched off the pipe to the sink tap atm.

The guys are coming next week. If the link is not needed I might use the cold feed as it's closer and probably more accessible.

Cheers.

Tbh I would not want to just remove the flexi and leave it with valves on stalks.
The guys confirmed the boiler has a filling loop, so these could be capped off. For £70 plus vat.

I'm sure I can do the cold feed, just shut the water off, trim and cap or add appliance valve.

The heating loop, I don't know how to go about capping that?

Just leaving the valve closed would be easiest I guess?

Back