Compete brewing newbie going in at the deep end

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Juggerluggs

Reaction score
Hello

I'm a complete newbie. After weeks of lurking on this site getting tips and generally growing to like the look of this forum very much, I decided to not go ahead with a wine kit and instead have just filled my first 25l FV with a fiery ginger beer concoction (with added lemongrass and spices) and fancy filling some demi johns with WOW type things....maybe then a wheat beer eeeek, possibly a stout...

Anyway, I'm a stay at home mum (currently on maternity leave with my second), but run a couple of online businesses so have my hands full, love cooking and am hoping this is just the same, playing with flavours and of course drinking it! My better half is hoping I do good at this....

I have no idea how to read my hydrometer....I tried to read it and think it said 130 for my ginger beer :hmm: wish me luck because I'm going to need it!

I hope this first brew is drinkable!!!!!

Welcome to the forum :cheers:

I'm sure there is an article on reading hydrometers in the how to section.

Welcome.
If you like messing around looking like a scientist, learn to read you hydrometer...( it impresses the yokels and the unwashed public ! )

This is truly a hobby where the skies the limit. I couldn't begin to list the different varieties of wine ciders and beers you can easily make at home.

Have fun...

I think Dave the forum robot just welcomed piddledribble, rather than Juggerluggs!

**Malfunction**

**Malfunction**

**EXTERMINATE**

**EXTERMINATE**

Someone get Dave a new flux capacitor, quick!

[ADDED - Hang on, I posted this and now he's welcoming me (at least on my screen) what's going on here?

...Hang on, I've got Display post order direction set to 'Descending'. For some reason, that confuses Dave!

Anyway, welcome to the forum!]

Juggerluggs said:
I have no idea how to read my hydrometer....I tried to read it and think it said 130 for my ginger beer

1.130 is crazy high (implies around 17%ABV), 1.030 is maybe just a bit low but could be right. What ABV were you hoping for?

:cheers: to you all! Have to say your replies have had me chuckling away.

Old bloke, I think you have discovered my total ineptness at reading what appears to be a straightforward piece if kit...I think you are right 1.030...I have read the how to on here and watched a YouTube video, my excuse is I am being distracted by toddlers (trying to stick a Lego brick up the cats bum) and a baby....mind all over the place. I made a beginners boo boo, pitched the yeast and then took a reading, doubt I gave everything a good mix which probably has fluffed me up. I would like a nice 6% if poss.

I am getting very excited at all the possibilities of brewing, got into my brewery tours years ago...like real ale although haven't been drinking much since the children, but plan on making and sampling now :party:

Juggerluggs said:
Old bloke, I think you have discovered my total ineptness at reading what appears to be a straightforward piece if kit...

Ah, well, I've just bottled a cider today and the hydrometer readings I have for it don't make much sense, so it's not just you!

er.... did you remove the lego brick from the cat's bum ? :shock:

I kept putting the cat out to stop my son doing it but the cat kept coming back in, all whilst trying to get this brew on, I was a bit flustered to say the least. Thankfully no Lego went up the cats bum and the cat didn't wallop him.

Anyways, I am very pleased to announce by ginger beer is bubbling away! :thumb:

Waiting for some pectolase to come by post and then I'll try some of Wurzels Orange wine :grin:

I fancied trying to make some boozy dandelion and burdock but am having trouble identifying burdock! :doh:

Latest posts

Back