Conditioning cider

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Georgie

Reaction score
I have just bottled some cider, 15 bottles without additional sugar and 15 bottles with half teaspoon of sugar. After fermentation I transfered it into another bucket with a bottling tap and tube, and left it for a couple of days before bottling. This is my 1st cider so not sure if this is right but what I noticed was that when I came to bottle it, there didn't seem much yeast suspended in the cider as appossed to what you would see in an ale. The question is does it matter if I store the bottles without the added sugar in the shed where it obviously pretty cold as there is no sugar to start any secondary fermentation. Also for the bottles with sugar, I was planning to leave them in the house for 4-5 days to start the 2nd fermentation, after that not sure where they should be kept.

What you have done sounds good to me Georgie :thumb:
Once you have had the primed bottles in the house for the 4 to 5 days stick 'em in the shed with the others, they'll be fine in there until the weather warms up :thumb:

Sounds good to me too :thumb:
Conditioning doesn't stop just because you haven't added priming sugar. You may well find the unprimed cider will condition anyway, it will just take longer and the cider may finish drier.

Thanks guys,

Will it take longer to condition due to the cold temperature in the shed. I normally leave my ales in the cupboard under the stairs where its between 13 to 15 deg C. I want to leave it to condition fully before I drink it but would like to do this the quickest way.

Back