Coopers, Canadian Blonde Review

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewed this a few weeks ago and bottled the lot about 22 ltrs. I am going to save it until the summer (maybe)

Used Coopers brew enhancer 1, I also did a 20g cascade hop tea. 1 carbonation drop per 0.5 ltr bottle. OG 1037 FG 1010.

Tried one the other day very pleased with it. Should be great by the summer

image_zps8d441cf3.jpg

Final assessment: OG: 1035. FG: 1005.
Used Coopers BE1.
In Fermenter or for 10 days. Bottled using 2 Coopers carbonation tabs.
Wrapped in electric blanket (bottles in box in shed) for 14 days.
Shelved for 30 days.
Beer is very clear, with great head which holds to the bottom of the glass. I have to say for a first attempt i am very pleased.
I think in future if i did this brew i would just use 1.5 carbonation tabs per 500ml bottle though (being picky), and i guess it would have been an advantage to know what a Canadian Blonde tasted like before brewing for a comparison?

All said and done im well chuffed, and really pleased that it went well as i was worried if it didnt i might chuck it all in.

Rock On!! :drink:

Ive just bottled a Coopers Draught, and have started a Wilkos Cerveza. No rest for the wicked! so perhaps will put the details of those up too.

Thanks for all your helpful advice.

Regards

Tony

Took 2 dozen bottles of this away with me on my caravaning holiday last week.
It has matured a treat. From not tasting much evidence of the hop tea I originally added to the brew, a few weeks ago at the first sampling. It now has a superb hop profile.

I have got to say it is now a cracking pint. :thumb:

I've done this (see my brewdays blog post)

First thing I noticed was that it didn't fizz after the first week or 2 in regular room temperature (~16c) - I had to put it in the airing cupboard.
It's now gone completely the opposite way - it's incredibly fizzy, even after being left in the cold for a couple of weeks.

It's a fairly light, rather easy drinking lager. Not too strong, but also not too much THT which is good. I did bottle it straight from the Secondary which might help.

Definitely needs leaving for a few weeks, if not months. I wasn't too impressed on first drink as a young lager.

Hi all,

I'm currently doing a blonde too :lol:

I haven't written up a brewday yet but to give you a bit of an idea of the story so far: I got myself a 30l FV with a bottom tap as this looks like the easiest set up to bottle from. Made the brew last Monday night and had an OG of 1048 - I slightly over liquor'd at 23.5L.
It all went swimmingly to be honest, no major feck ups, which was nice! It got going great with a nice big Krausen ring by the following day, it also bubbled merrily for most of the week and has just started to slow down to a few each minute or so now.

Since then its been sat in my kitchen at somewhere between 16 and 20 degrees - about house temperature - I have turned the brew belt on now and again if I thought the the temp was getting a bit low. I'm watching a few fridges on eBay as i type this so maybe the next one will be a bit more controlled.

I've just taken a gravity reading as we're now one week in and its at 1020. I was a bit disappointed at first, hoping to see something much closer to 1010 but reading all the previous posts in this thread has given me a bit of reassurance - hopefully another week will have dropped the gravity further and I'll be ready to bottle. I drank my trial jar (of course :mrgreen: ) and it tastes remarkably like beer - it even had a head! The taste wasn't unpleasant but a little watery with a hint of bitterness at the end. Not bad at this stage if I'm honest.

I've not taken the lid off yet as I haven't needed to - the tap comes in handy - not sure if I should just be patient or if I should give it a stir? I'm erring on leaving it as it still bubbles every so often as I mentioned so its obviously doing something.

Does all this sound OK?

Stu.

Hi, I need some advice please!

As you can see above, my gravity was 1020 on Monday night. Tonight, four days later it has only dropped by 1 to 1019. It's been in the fv for eleven days today.

I'm concerned it might be a bit cool, reading between 16 and 18 degrees the LCD. Should I heat it up?

Stu

Disco_Stu said:
Hi, I need some advice please!

As you can see above, my gravity was 1020 on Monday night. Tonight, four days later it has only dropped by 1 to 1019. It's been in the fv for eleven days today.

I'm concerned it might be a bit cool, reading between 16 and 18 degrees the LCD. Should I heat it up?

Stu
Hi mate, id terrible trouble with that kit. I stirred it a few times, and even added more yeast but nothing really helped. I think i bottled mine at about 1016 after ages in the fv, maybe 3 weeks. Ive since started using yeast nutrient along with the yeast, as advised by another forum member and have had no bother since. 16C and 18C should be fine normally, but you can try as stir and raise the temp and see if it helps. :thumb: :thumb:

Had some initial, mid and post-brew issues with this kit as seen here: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=39862

Anyway, this was the Coopers Canadian Blonde in the FV - 1 Can kit mixed up with Coopers Brew Enhancer 1 (23rd May 2013: OG - 1040), Brew temp was kept between 20-22 degrees, yeast pitched at 26 degrees...

Bottled on 31/05/2013 using 1.5 Coopers Carbonation drops- FG: 1012: approx 4% ABV....
DSC_0172_zps94ab570f.jpg

2 weeks at room temperature, then have been kept the rest of the time in a cupboard in the kitchen (No garage, have a garden hut but not ideal for steady-ish temps)

6+ week's tester tonight - "Feck Test" to follow as have poured this in a frosted Coors Glass :doh: - (15/07/2013)

Head dissipated rather quickly. Tastes better the longer I leave it and the more I have of it though... :whistle: :drink:

For a 1st attempt, I'm happy with it and plenty lessons learned for next time. :thumb:

hi i brewed the canadian blonde with the following results ..put it on 18 august 2013. to 23 litres .added the coopers brew enhancer 1 kit as recommended..after two days i made a hop tea bag up and added 100g of fresh hops.(.Pioneer).. because i had just visited a micro brewery ( Thornbridge in Bakewell ) and i was given the hops to smell ..wow ..they smelt of grapefruit so i looked up fresh hops .and found one that had said smells of grapefruit...anyway .i made a tea bag with muslin and sterilized it with boiling water ..added the hop flowers and tied it up ..poured boiling water onto it and left it ..then when it was cool enough put it in the brew...after 12 days i bottled it 30th august ..i siphoned it off into a bucket with 5 oz of natural unrefined sugar ..and then mixed it and bottled it.... it worked out at about 4.5%.. tasted it yesterday...it has a dry mouthfeel .seems a little bit watery but the flavour is extremely hoppy and has a lovely fragrance ..not as strong a flavour as the Thornbridge Jaipur which is there award winning beer ..but not far off ..it is a light golden colour and i cant wait to leave it another couple of weeks to see how it tastes then :drink:

Going to brew this in a few days time, when the TC has finished in the FV.

I've got the kit and brew enhancer 1. I've heard it's difficult to get the FG under 1.010 due to unfermentables. Is there anything I can add to raise the ABV by about 0.5% as the last time I did a Coopers kit it only came out at 3.5%.

Thanks in advance.

Chucking in 250g of cane sugar would do the job, there, mate. :thumb:

This time of year, you might try leaving it nearer 2 weeks than one in the fermenter. Can't do any harm! The Coopers kits will go to 1008 with reasonable patience.

Cheers slid, :cheers: planning on leaving it at least 10 days, maybe nearer the 2 weeks you suggest as temp will be between 18-22 C. I believe it's an ale yeast so I wouldn't like to go any lower than 18.

I did this last week, it should be nearly ready for bottling. I have a problem though...i have bottles of all sizes to use, varying from 275ml to 500 ml. Can i batch prime this?

this is my first beverage to be bottled (have a few wines and ciders on the go), unsure how to batch prime but it does seem to be the easiest option to make sure all bottles are primed the same.

Can anyone point me in the right direction, how much sugar and water to use?

Cheers guys.

jamesglast said:
I did this last week, it should be nearly ready for bottling. I have a problem though...i have bottles of all sizes to use, varying from 275ml to 500 ml. Can i batch prime this?

this is my first beverage to be bottled (have a few wines and ciders on the go), unsure how to batch prime but it does seem to be the easiest option to make sure all bottles are primed the same.

Can anyone point me in the right direction, how much sugar and water to use?

Cheers guys.

yes you can batch prime, it the best way to do it. also if you add 100g of sugar it would get you the 0.5% your looking for, but i would think more light DME would be the better choice 150-200g
I was thinking of doing this kit, this weekend what ppl view on the final product.

Back