Coopers, Canadian Blonde Review

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dave0w said:
yes you can batch prime, it the best way to do it. also if you add 100g of sugar it would get you the 0.5% your looking for, but i would think more light DME would be the better choice 150-200g
I was thinking of doing this kit, this weekend what ppl view on the final product.
Thanks for that. I did a hydrometer reading today 1.022! have i done something wrong?

it's been in the kitchen (warmest place i could get it around 16c) it started at 1.032. i used Coopers enhancer 1 as recomended.
there is a froth on the top, so something has happened, should i stir it up?

i thought it would be almost done by now

jamesglast said:
dave0w said:
yes you can batch prime, it the best way to do it. also if you add 100g of sugar it would get you the 0.5% your looking for, but i would think more light DME would be the better choice 150-200g
I was thinking of doing this kit, this weekend what ppl view on the final product.
Thanks for that. I did a hydrometer reading today 1.022! have i done something wrong?

it's been in the kitchen (warmest place i could get it around 16c) it started at 1.032. i used Coopers enhancer 1 as recomended.
there is a froth on the top, so something has happened, should i stir it up?

i thought it would be almost done by now

put the lid on and give it some time. the lower the temp the slower the fermentation. and they say the better the taste.
how long as it been in the brew bucket?

dave0w said:
put the lid on and give it some time. the lower the temp the slower the fermentation. and they say the better the taste.
It's day 8 today, if i remember right the pack instructions said by day 7 you're good to go.

jamesglast said:
dave0w said:
It's day 8 today, if i remember right the pack instructions said by day 7 you're good to go.

no give it about 14, a bitter kit am doing now says 4 days it now been 5 and it still going like mad

Don't worry you have to remember the instructions are for Australia and they would have conditions like our summer all year round.
I did this kit and it fermented out in 6 days but this was during summer and ambient temps were in around 24 to 25c.
You could always try a brew belt or heater if you are having difficulty with temps but if you can keep it around 16c all the time it will ferment out
but could take 3 to 4 weeks.

I've had this in the FV for 9 days now after adding 1kg dex and 500g light spraymalt, SG of 1046 and it's down to 1004 now. I think my SG reading might have been a bit low side though as before I'd even pitched there was quite a chunk of sediment, so I'm thinking not all my can/dex/lsm was dissolved properly. Anyway still bubbles appearing and pressure under the lid so I'm going to leave it for another few days - but it is smelling absolutely gorgeous at the minute. With a minimum ABV of 5.6% before priming this is looking like an interesting one.

just bottled this kit. Primed with a mixture of golden syrup, maple syrup and glucose (i'll post the results in due course)

Added 500g DME, 500g Glucose and hop tea'd some Bulldog Halletauer Hersbrucker Finishing Hops. Smells pretty good so anxious to taste the results.

Also, left in FV for 14 days

One thing I was confused on was that my SG (tested on 2 hydrometers) was 1052 and my FV is 1006. This was supposed to be an easy all round beer :lol: (FWIW, I brewed to 20.5ltr)

Callum

Well, the Blushing Blonde is on - pitched yesterday plus 500g LME and 1kg sugar and with 480g Blackberries in a hop bag with 8 large marbles. The berries have been in the freezer for a couple of weeks and were defrosted in the microwave, to help zap any micro-organisms. Pitched at 21C and the airing cupboard has been at 20C since. Nice krausen and the bag is on the surface.

It looks a nice sort of colour, though it is hard to tell at this stage.

Callum - BTW your readings are entirely consistent with your having added 2x500g glucose, but that does not actually mean you did. Hydrometers are only scientific when used scientifically and I only bother with FG readings these days. I guess ABV on the basis of what went in, which is fine for a can opener approach to brewing.

If doing AG, then a starting gravity tells you something you did not know otherwise - brewhouse efficiency, I think they call it. In other words, how successfully the mashing went.

Hello Home brewers (1st time poster)

Put this on my 3rd Brew

Brewed at just over 20ls with 1KG extra light DME and 250gr Dex been about 20-22ºc

OG about 1047 ish, hoping to get a nice body light beer with about 5%. I used a bit of yeast nutrient aswell and the krausen was huge on it, 5 days in and its dropped out now

Glad to see others like it.

Is it more a Lager or a Blonde Ale?

Hi there and welcome.

With 1kg DME and an ale yeast with the kit, this will be more ale than lager I would guess.

Should be OK though.

Well, the Blushing Blonde is on - pitched yesterday plus 500g LME and 1kg sugar and with 480g Blackberries in a hop bag with 8 large marbles. The berries have been in the freezer for a couple of weeks and were defrosted in the microwave, to help zap any micro-organisms. Pitched at 21C and the airing cupboard has been at 20C since. Nice krausen and the bag is on the surface.

It looks a nice sort of colour, though it is hard to tell at this stage.

Callum - BTW your readings are entirely consistent with your having added 2x500g glucose, but that does not actually mean you did. Hydrometers are only scientific when used scientifically and I only bother with FG readings these days. I guess ABV on the basis of what went in, which is fine for a can opener approach to brewing.

If doing AG, then a starting gravity tells you something you did not know otherwise - brewhouse efficiency, I think they call it. In other words, how successfully the mashing went.
How's it going ?
I fancy making something similar soon

Blushing Blonde has been in the FV for 2 weeks now and is due for racking tomorrow. Looks a sort of copper colour and the bag containing the berries has been more or less below the surface for a while now.

The temp in the airing cupboard has been around 20C throughout and so I am hopeful :D.

Got this one on as my second attempt at a kit.

Brew as follows:

Brewed on - 31/10/14
1 x Coopers Canadian Blonde Kit
1 x Coopers Beer Enhancer 1
250g x Generic Brewing Sugar
Batch Volume - 21 Litres

Went together without a problem. Thoroughly mixed and aerated with paddle/cordless drill arrangement and yeast pitched circa 25c. Left in a fermentation bucket with lid in the house at around 18-21c for 8 days and then racked into a demi john and left in the same place.

Gravity Reading - 1048

Checked the gravity yesterday (20/11/14) and its approx 1012 so I've left it on a heating mat to "encourage" the yeast to finish off. The temperature in the room is a bit variable but its the only room the kids can't get into regularly!! (toddler loves to try and pull airlocks out of bungs :wink: )

Quick pick of the above test sample:

IMG_20141120_155559.jpg

The taste was inoffensive and reasonably well rounded. Can't image this will be anything to write home about but it should be a very pleasant light ale from my mother's home country to quaff. As per my review of the Coopers Euro Lager I am stunned by house clear it is already!

As soon as I source 10 more bottles its getting batch primed and bottled. Don't want to use my last spare corny keg on this (saving that for a Simply Pale Ale I have on the go).

Hope this is of help. Will post again once sampled around Christmas time :)

Blushing Blonde has been in the FV for 2 weeks now and is due for racking tomorrow. Looks a sort of copper colour and the bag containing the berries has been more or less below the surface for a while now.

The temp in the airing cupboard has been around 20C throughout and so I am hopeful :D.

Somehow, I managed to under prime this horribly. Absolutely no explanation why the first few were so flat. Not a bad taste and beautifull clarity, but loses the point by being flat.

Just opened one now and it is quite delicate and with a definite blackberry taste. A bit of carbonation makes it into something a bit special.

:cheers:

Currently brewing this used..

1x Blonde kit
1kg brew enhancer
Yeast that came with kit
Kit split between two 10lt bins topped up to 9 litres each.

Been in for ten days at around 18-19 degrees and primary fermentation seems to have finished, checked today nice and clear with a lovely aroma but very much still homebrew taste at the moment. I am going to experiment and add hops to one batch to see what difference they make. Strength is looking about 5.8 % I'm guessing due to brewing short. I will let you know how it comes out.

Brewing:

Coopers Canadian Blonde
Wine Buddy Cab Sav
Turbo Cider.

Conditioning :

Coopers Australian Ale.

Back