Coopers chocolate stout/plain stout recipe

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did this kit and its great but I'm not sure the yeast supplied with it can tolerate a high ABV so keep fermentables to the minimum, I did mine with 1kg of dark DME ad a tin of black treacle and it was bloody gorgeous, I went over the top the 2nd time round and also threw in some brown sugar too and it wasn't half as nice :(

About 48 hours will get most of the flavour but sometimes I'll add extra water around the same amount as the vodka and shake well. Leave for another day and put in before bottling.

Donny70 said:
150-200g cocoa nibs soaked in just enough vodka to cover them for 48 hours will release the chocolate flavours. There are around 300 compounds in chocolate that give it it's flavour and not many are water soluble.

Put fluid in bulk priming barrel just before bottling and this gives a good chocolate taste on the back palate and is not overpowering. A cheeky way to get a more milk chocolate flavour is to put around 75g of lactose in too, but you'll have to take that into consideration of you are lactose intolerant.

Using chocolate bars will only introduce oils into the mix even with the best separation. In my opinion anyway...

What if i added Lactose by itself in a larger amount without the cocoa nibs?.

Read a page about flavouring the wort with a stick of pure licorice, just pop it in at yeast adding time..enhancing the flavours a little..This with some steeped chock nibs will be a good first Stout i think..
Might run the choc nibs through the coffee grinder then leave to soak in the vodka wrapped in muslin cloth,should extract most of the flavour..

On the other hand i could just add this instead of the nibs and vodka thing..just seems a more simple approach..about 20mil-30mil for 5gal at bottling is what has been suggested on a recipe i was reading although this was being added along with other chocolate powders so i think i could go to 50mil with it alone.I hope this will be ok, there is no added sugar and it appears to be good quality stuff.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Chocolate-Ext ... 9391105%26

alanywiseman said:
If you are going the extract ropute just add to taste at bottling time :thumb:

This looks interesting also to add to the syrup at the beginning along with the liquorice although i dont want to over power the stout taste..i think not as its only 125g..then add 50mil of the extract at bottling..small enough amounts for 25ltrs me thinks..

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j& ... Oj8BSAcqCg

Latest posts

Back