Coopers Original Stout Review

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes spray malt - not sure about the chocolate extract, i will let one of the more experienced beer wizards answer that one :D

Kinleycat said:
alanywiseman said:
Kinleycat said:
Could i add something like this for a chocolatey flavour?
http://www.healthysupplies.co.uk/chocol ... tAod_3kAgw

yes you can but I would do it after fermentation just before bottling and add to taste :thumb:
I was thinking of adding to the sugar mix and boiling it up and adding to the contents of the kit.
Would this not be a good idea?
KC :thumb:

Do you mean boil up the sugar, chocolate extract and water then add kit?

The reason I would add at the end of fermentation is that you can add it to taste rather than guessing. Plus if you do as I think you are suggesting you will lose a lot of the chocolate aroma when boiling it.

alanywiseman said:
yes you can but I would do it after fermentation just before bottling and add to taste :thumb:
I was thinking of adding to the sugar mix and boiling it up and adding to the contents of the kit.
KC :thumb:[/quote]

The reason I would add at the end of fermentation is that you can add it to taste rather than guessing. Plus if you do as I think you are suggesting you will lose a lot of the chocolate aroma when boiling it.[/quote]

Add it to the boiled sugar mix.
Or add to a steralised second barrel and syphon in for secondary ferment?

Ive added about a third bottle of choc and slightly less of orange essence to the FV before missing and adding yeast

first brew of this stout though so ill let u know how it goes

i didnt fancy boiling it or getting it hot not that im that clued up but i assume they have an oil in them being an essence and didnt want it to split or spoil with the heat. Best bet is to add tiny amounts to the glass before pouring then you acn gauge how much if any you like before next batch

Kinleycat said:
alanywiseman said:

The reason I would add at the end of fermentation is that you can add it to taste rather than guessing. Plus if you do as I think you are suggesting you will lose a lot of the chocolate aroma when boiling it.[/quote]

Or add to a steralised second barrel and syphon in for secondary ferment?[/quote]

If it is added to the wort you will lose some of the aroma during fermentation. You could add it to a secondary barrel but I think that you will be able to better judge the flavour if you do it just before bottling.

Your other option is to ferment it with just sugar and bottle then when you go to drink it add the extract to the glass before pouring. This way you could use chocolate, coffee, vanilla or any combination.

Just a note secondary fermentation takes place in the bottle to carbonate the beer. I think you are referring to racking the beer into a second FV for it to clear :thumb:

alanywiseman said:
Kinleycat said:
alanywiseman said:

The reason I would add at the end of fermentation is that you can add it to taste rather than guessing. Plus if you do as I think you are suggesting you will lose a lot of the chocolate aroma when boiling it.

Or add to a steralised second barrel and syphon in for secondary ferment?[/quote]

If it is added to the wort you will lose some of the aroma during fermentation. You could add it to a secondary barrel but I think that you will be able to better judge the flavour if you do it just before bottling.

Your other option is to ferment it with just sugar and bottle then when you go to drink it add the extract to the glass before pouring. This way you could use chocolate, coffee, vanilla or any combination.

Just a note secondary fermentation takes place in the bottle to carbonate the beer. I think you are referring to racking the beer into a second FV for it to clear :thumb:[/quote]
Yes thats what i meant. :thumb:

I'm going to be batch priming and bottling this on Saturday. Thought about using a tin of golden syrup I happen to have lying about. How much do you think I ought to use, for a 20 litre brew, considering some will get behind on the trub when I rack to the batch priming vessel?

Hey,

After reading all the great reviews of this kit, I decided too try it out. I added 1kg dark DME, and brewed it short too 20 liters. My OG ended up at 1045, I tought that was a bit low, as my supplier said it would end up at app. 5-6% abv. Anyway, it smelled great and I'm really looking forward too get this in the bottles, and have a taste :) Ill be posting a comment of how it came out.

Ray

That sounds quite low, did you give it a really good stir? By the time I'd added the yeast, mine had several inches of froth, due to my vigorous stirring and aeration, and I had a gravity of 1.060, with 1kg of extra dark DME and some treacle.

SloeBrewer said:
That sounds quite low, did you give it a really good stir? By the time I'd added the yeast, mine had several inches of froth, due to my vigorous stirring and aeration, and I had a gravity of 1.060, with 1kg of extra dark DME and some treacle.

Yeah, i stirred it well, and had much froth myself. But lets say i didn't, is it still ok? Will it just take longer too ferment out? Ive had this problem with other batches too, with low OG (I've checked my hydrometer). Anyway, still excited about the beer :)

Cheers - Ray

Edit: I tried punching the data into beersmith, 1.7kg dark LME and 1kg dark DME, and it came out with an estimate of 1044 OG. So it seems I'm not that far off. I guess the treacle would have boosted it up.

The most important bit is when you first add the hot water, to ensure there is no malt stuck to the bottom of the fermenter. If it's not properly mixed at the start, the gravity will read low.

I assume the yeast will eventually find all the sugars in the wort, but your ABV calculation may be out.

24 hours in the bin and the foam has reached the lid!! :party:
Don't know why I'm impressed but I am, the most I'd had withy previous two was about an inch!! :thumb:

I have had a vision/nonsense dream of doing a coopers stout and putting about 20 mashed cherrys in a grain bag and putting it in the FV.would this give me a cherry stout? Or would it just give me a :hmm: lot of papp muck?

I've just started the whole homebrew thing. shop in hamilton and I got coopers stout and lager. The lager is airlock bubbling away, but the stout seems dead as a dodo.

I've no idea what the check or what to do tbh.

Bought a hydrometer so will check it tomorrow, its been in the bucket a week tho. Reckon its a write off.

Maybe I put to much trust in the lager airlock bubbles.

Instead of sugar I put murtons beer enhancer in the stout, stirred it in well but maybe to ambitious for a first homebrew?

phatpete said:
Bought a hydrometer so will check it tomorrow, its been in the bucket a week tho. Reckon its a write off.
Hydrometer reading is the right way to go, I think you'll probably find that fermentation has just about finished.

Never rely on airlocks as a sole indicator, especially on buckets, the lids rarely seal effectively.

Your stout may have finished fermenting after 2 or 3 days, as stout sometimes does, but leave it in for a week before taking readings.

Hey,

Ive had mine in the FV (i know this stands for fermenter, but why FV?? anyways..) for 15 days now. My OG was 1.045 brewed to 20 liters, with 1kg of dark spraymalt. It has now been at 1.015 for two days. Safe too bottle? It has been standing on around 19-20C the whole time.

Cheers - Ray

PS: The taste of the hydrometer readings are very promising :party:

Back