Coopers Real Ale - First ever brew!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dawson

Reaction score
Ey up!

So on Saturday night - I thought I'd get my first beer brewing. As I am sure you can appreciate, it was difficult to be methodical and careful when you're like a bairn on Christmas Eve!

However, after consultation of my guide book and thoroughly read instructions, I took the plunge and cracked on.

Some observations I have observed - It's very easy to get paranoid about sterilisation! Is it sterilised enough? Should I leave it in a little longer? does the bag of brew enhancer need wiping down?! etc etc. I also noted that using a kit (Coopers Real Ale) the actual material in the can smells like Marmite crossed with dog.

I finally got the cold water in up to 21L (wanted to short brew a little) and took me hydrometer reading (1.041) and just waited for the temperature to drop so I could pitch me yeast...

...the tension was palpable, I was sweating like a Yorkshireman in Waitrose...

Then the yeast went in, the lid went on, and I could finally relax, knowing I'd done me best, and it was in the lap of the Gods now.

More observations : It is hard not to constantly keep peeking in and seeing what's going on! Temptation nearly got the better of me Saturday night, but I restrained myself. Also : In real life, I am a scientist, I have to keep a lab book. I noticed that once I had written down what I'd done... I'd essentially written up an experiment - what is it they say about taking your work home with you?!

The airlock was happily bubbling on Sunday afternoon, so I had a peek... It had a cracking head on it, could have dipped a flake in it! So all looks well, and thankfully, it no longer smelled like wet dog and marmite, but sweet sweet fermentation.

So far... so good. I shall update you all at the next appropriate juncture.

Until then, chaps and chappesses, al' si'thi! :drink:

Good write up, especially the Waitrose bit. :thumb:

Consider getting some hops to chuck in the FV for the last few days. And leave it in the FV for two weeks or so. But otherwise leave it alone other than keeping a check on the temperature. Do you have a stick on thermometer on the FV?

This brew will almost certainly work out well. I'm tempted to say that half the fun is in the anticipation while you wait a month to try it (2 weeks in FV + 2 weeks warm conditioning) but in the case of brewing, that isn't actually true because you will almost certainly have a lot more fun drinking it with your pals, or family. Actually, that month really ought to be six weeks, because almost every beer benefits from an extra two weeks of cool conditioning, but being realistic, nearly all beginning brewers scoff a fair bit of their output on the early side. You must wait a month though - at least - if you can.... :)

I'm a big fan of those Cooper's kits. They got me back into brewing after a thirty year hiatus following some pretty lackluster results in the bad old days of the early 1980s. I actually first brewed kits in the early 1970s. They were always terrible back then. Cooper's modern kits work and produce nice tasting beer - easily on a par with most pub beer and often better in my opinion. Other good kits to try from Cooper's are IPA, and English Bitter. I'm drinking an IPA kit right now that was brewed on the light side to be a touch less than 3%. It is EXTREMELY quaffable in my opinion. The English bitter though has the edge on it I think. When you've done with those, try the Irish Stout for a mind blowing flavour, but when you do, expect the volcanic fermentation to rise up the FV and flow out into your home. If you do it in summer, it will certainly try to.

Keep an eye out on the Tesco website. They often run sales of home brew kits and I recently bought a bunch for about £10 a pop. For a £14 kit that is a great price. By doing click and collect, you also don't pay any delivery charge either which makes them a double bargain. They do these sales quite often. One just finished though, but worth keeping an eye out anyway.

Do you have a stick on thermometer on the FV?

Aye, in fact I have 2, because it wasn't symmetrical! I figured it'd be best to stick one on as opposed to keep dipping and disturbing.

Found a picture!

Tony - You're spot on there, and I reckon some of it will get quaffed early no doubt - however they are the best sort of mistakes to make! It's funny you mention the English bitter and the Tesco sale, because I bought both the Real Ale and English Bitter kits via said sale - I agree, top value. I also bought the Youngs beer kit enhancer which I thought was well priced. Thanks for your suggestion about the Irish stout - that sounds like something I'd probably enjoy very much too, so consider it on't list!

Probably going to get the English bitter on straight after this as September is going to be a decent month for sport and such, going to need some refreshment!

20150713_170745.jpg

Last edited:
Aye, in fact I have 2, because it wasn't symmetrical! I figured it'd be best to stick one on as opposed to keep dipping and disturbing.

Are you keeping the temp steady in the 18-22 range?

Okay let's get it over with....

What do you call a Yorkshire man in Waitrose, the Caretaker
What was the Yorkshire man looking for in Waitrose, the exit.

Come on there must be more

I like t'dialect based jokes such as :

Yorkshireman takes his cat to the vet.
Yorkshireman 'Ey up lad, I need to si'thi' 'bart me cat'
Vet 'Okay, of course. Is it a tom?'
Yorkshireman 'Nay lad av browt it wi'us'

Apologies to all who are scratching their head there!

A Young Fella's wife died, the lass was very religious and he arranged for her head stone to say "She Was Thine" an unfortunate mistake led to the stonemason carving "She was Thin" Our protagonist went to the stone mason and complained that the E had been left out. Suitably contrite the mason promised to have it fixed the following day. Imagine our hero's shock at seeing "Ee She Was Thin" on the headstone.

(Young Fella Yorkshire man over the age of about 65)

I don't know why everyone is suddenly talking about Twerking. My mate from Yorkshire has been doing it for years.

As he says, it's how he gets t'money t'pay t'bills

Me and our lass were walking past this posh restaurant t'other neet, and she turns to me 'n sez, 'That smells amazing dunnit?!' - Because I'm a classy gentleman I thought to me'sen 'aye go on then, I'll treat her'... so we walked past it again!

So Geoff Boycott, the Pope and Jesus were stood at the side of the lake, looking at an island with an inviting bar on it. Jesus walks across followed by Geoffrey, The Pope takes a couple of steps then there's a huge splash, not to be out done he tries again more carefully, on the third attempt be makes it across in the water up to his neck. Jesus turns to our Geoff and says
"Do you think we should have told him where the stepping stones are"
With a withering look Geoff says

"Stepping Stones!?"

Latest posts

Back