Coopers stout - bottle or not?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

InHopsWeTrust

Reaction score
I put on a Coopers Stout 7 days ago. Added 500g brewing sugar, 450g black treacle and 500g medium spraymalt. Brewed short to 20l and the whole thing went off like a rocket. :-D

Starting gravity was 1064, and the reading has remained at 1012 for the last two days so it's sitting at just under 7% ABV. My question is whether it's safe to bottle? My hydrometer instructions tell me not to bottle until the FG is below 1006 or the bottles will burst?

I've never brewed a beer this strong before so would appreciate some advice. Is that FG about right for a beer with this quantity of fermentables?

Hey InHopsWeTrust

Well, you've made short to 20L and added exra fermentables - i take it? I'd be inclined to wait another week and see where it sits as you've not made to the instructions (now't wrong with adding extra fermentables and short :-D ) and you may never achieve 1.006 ( don't know how black treacle ferments). If you must bottle now then put one in a PET bottle and feel the bottle ocassionally. Once it's really hard then move all bottles to a cool place to cut out (or at least slow) fermentation. Not sure if any of that helped? :electric:

I put on a Coopers Stout 7 days ago. Added 500g brewing sugar, 450g black treacle and 500g medium spraymalt. Brewed short to 20l and the whole thing went off like a rocket. :-D

Starting gravity was 1064, and the reading has remained at 1012 for the last two days so it's sitting at just under 7% ABV. My question is whether it's safe to bottle? My hydrometer instructions tell me not to bottle until the FG is below 1006 or the bottles will burst?

I've never brewed a beer this strong before so would appreciate some advice. Is that FG about right for a beer with this quantity of fermentables?

I bottled my brewferm abdij at 1014 when og was 1070 giving 7.35%.

Also I use a plastic 500ml water bottle (covered to protect from light) as my test bottle, when it's gone hard(re-pressurised) I know to take the bottles to a cooler place. It will give you an early warning for your carbonation levels

I was worried about bottle bombs with my brews needing a few days conditioning in a warm place.

btw brewferm say to bottle at 1.010 my hydrometer says don't bottle over 1.015 but as you say it depends on the fermentables and that's why you check the hydrometer for 3 readings the same.

Back