coopers stout - priming?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeedsBrewer

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hey guys, I will be bottling my coopers stout in a few days. Just wondering how much sugar everyone else primed theirs with? I will be bulk priming and was thinking of 70g for the 20L. Is this too much, too little?? (i normally do 90g for 23L Ale)

I don't drink stouts very often. So not sure how carbonated to make them??
any thought would be appreciated. Many thanks.

I primed my bottles. I used a 1/2 teaspoon in the 500ml bottles and a heaped 1/2 teaspoon in the 660ml bottles. Ive sampled both sizes of bottles [for purely scientific reasons] and they were great even at that early stage. A great head and fantastic taste. Not much help for your batch priming i suppose but might give you some idea. I brewed to 21 litres. :thumb:

I've done 2 brews of this kit.
My first I bottle primed (500ml bottles ) with 1 heaped teaspoon of sugar. after a few weeks I tasted it and it was like Dandelion and Burdock, very fizzy, still enjoyable tho. After a few weeks in the bottle it calmed down a lot
2nd brew I did with half a tsp per bottle, much better and more stout like.
So it just depends on how you like it.
half a tsp in a 500ml bottle equates to about 120gms for 20 litres batch prime

RobWalker said:
you want them pressurized and smooth, not fizzy - a lot of that's down to serving temp, so keep them cool but not too cold!
thanks, that was what i was wondering about. I dont want it to be too fizzy.

CallumScotts how to not screw up yer first brew mentions 85g priming sugar as being average for ales. So far ive been doing 90g and this has been about right. (i did 110g for my IPA and if was way too fizzy, seemed almost like a lager) Maybe this was down to being served too cold??

Back