Coopers Yeast. What is it?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nunfa1

Regular.
Reaction score
Does anyone know what yeast Coopers use in their beer kits? I've always found it to be the best when it come to bottling as it sets really well and doesn't get disturbed if the bottles travel. I'd like to be able to use it in an AG beer.

Thanks

Not sure but if your going to go AG then you have a whole world of yeast to play with ;) Dried yeasts like s-04 and us-05 and notty all clear and compact down well, then there is the world of liquid yeasts :D

To be honest I don't think my taste buds are good enough to appreciate liquid yeasts, I've only used S04 and Nottingham in my AG brews so far and I'm quite happy with them. I may look to liquid yeasts once I've got my head round splitting them but more from the financial point of view.
The reason for the Coopers is that I have a few weekends away in the summer so like to take along some hb, as you do, and Coopers kits were always the best when it came to travelling.

The Brewferm dried yeasts tend to flocculate well and form a nice dense pancake - so the world of Belgian style beers is at your fingertips too. Of course, the Belgians tend to 'swirl' the last bit in the bottle and pour it into the glass, so you have the choice of drinking the beer with or without the yeast.

I prefer it with - the yeast actually enhances the flavour of the beer, and it's blooming good for you too.

To paraphrase Wez, S-04 "sticks like **** to bed sheets" and I couldn't agree more. I love pouring a bottle to the last drop and S-04 works a treat. I have a packet of Nottingham that I want to try on my next brew, just to see how it does.

Latest posts

Back