copper hops question

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slurp

Reaction score
I am hoping to create a clone of hasket markets scafell blonde and from their web site i gather they use 3 hops for bittering goldings northdown and challenger .I,ve never given much thought to bittering hops as i always thought most of the flavours got destroyed in the boil so the differences between the hops at this stage was minimal ,i guess i am wrong can anyone suggest what differences these 3 hops will bring to the bittering stage :thumb:

I also have been led to believe that most of the flavour is wiped out by the boil, but maybe they offer other differing characteristics? Using just Northdown tends to give a very clean bitterness?

Would be interested to see what gets suggested here.

All hops which are added to the boil will contribute some bitterness to the wort, so the breweries marketing department can take bittering hops to mean whatever they please :roll:
Traditionally it has been stated that hops boiled for the full duration of the boil will lose the majority of their flavour and aroma and when there was a limited choice of hops this was in part true.
But given the massive selection of hops that are available today a beer that was bittered solely with Fuggles for example would taste completely different to one bittered with Chinook, if neither beer was given a late hop addition.
It is the late hop additions though that dominate the hop flavour and aroma of beer, so a late addition of a strongly flavoured hop will dominate and in most cases mask the flavour of the "main" bittering hop(s).
The amounts and timing off late addition hops will massively alter the character of a finished beer due to many and various changes to the hop components during the boil.
This is why breweries are happy to tell you what types of hop they use, but you will rarely get the amounts and addition timings from them.
So to answers the original posters question, sorry mate, no idea :wha:
But remember the beauty of home brewing is that you can experiment and even if the finished beer isn't quite an exact copy of the commercial beer it might just be better :drink:

I tend to use copper hops in the region of 7% AA or less for me it give a mellow bitterness even it you use S**T loads of them..
My favourite being challenger..
I used Taget a couple of times for bittering and flavour seem too strong... it overpowered everything..

:thumb: Thanks for the replies i will let you know if i manage to concoct a recipe worth repeating

bones said:
I tend to use copper hops in the region of 7% AA or less for me it give a mellow bitterness even it you use S**T loads of them..
My favourite being challenger..
I used Taget a couple of times for bittering and flavour seem too strong... it overpowered everything..

I agree with this.. I used chinooks @13% AA for my beer that just gone into the keg. The bitterness is severe (which is what I wanted) but I neednt have bothered with the flavour hops because you cant taste them over the chinkooks!

Latest posts

Back