Corny Kegs - Different Kinds

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acott

Reaction score
Like most I love the idea of having my beer on tap! So recently I started looking into making my own kegerator, the fridge and taps are no problem but I have noticed corny kegs come in two very different styles.

I just wanted to make sure either is ok, or if spare parts would be an issue in the future. I have attached two pictures :

200px-Kegintro_586.jpg

This is the normal Corny keg we all know and love

3_gallon_corny_keg.jpg

This is the other style of keg I have found, but I cant find much information on it.

Has anyone got this style of keg at home?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Seen lots of pictures from other home brewers who own theses kegs. Work the same from what I can tell. They seem to be more expensive per litre storage than the bigger alternatives though and I haven't seen any second hand ones come available.

I have a selection .. although they are all ball lock ( as pin lock ones are also available but rarer )

19l ones with rubber handles
19l ones with metal handle
11l ones with metal handle
9l ones with metal handle

mine are fully interchangeable, although IIRC there are 2 very slightly different size of poppet available in ball lock which can catch people out.

Hope this helps

Paul

Thanks very much for the info dx4100 and Paul, do you mind me asking what size CO2 tank you use? and roughly how long one would last?

I know its ballpark but any information is greatly appreciated :thumb:

I use a standard pub cylinder, which I believe is 7KG - just under 3 feet tall.

They last me around 18 months or so no problem :thumb:

Wow 18months, that's brilliant! I took the plunge and purchased a kit with a 23ltr keg, all I have left to get is the co2 cylinder!

Probably a very stupid question but can you put less than 23ltrs into the keg? Say if I was doing a brewferm at just 9ltrs, this would still be ok to keg?

Also the co2 carbonates so I wouldn't have to prime, right?

Sorry for the newbie questions!! Can't wait for everything to arrive :party:

Latest posts

Back