Cost of Home Brewing

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bit late on this thread but if you are comparing a £40 AG kit with loads of hops against even a premium kit they are not fully comparable hop wise IMO.
A good premium kit is good enough as long as you are not a serious hop head and it would be no more for a comparable hopped AG kit

Well last year I brewed an AG kit of verdant even sharks need water. That was £35 for a 19 litre kit. Just looked up the price of that kit now and it’s £68 so nearly doubled in price. But to buy the same volume of beer in cans you’re looking at over £200 so still great value even for the most heavily hopped NEIPA’s.

I live in Brazil, so the prices are very different... Anyway I calculate from this point of view: 1 bottle of craft beer is R$ 20 to 25. 1 bottle of my homebrew is R$ 10. Overestimating the price, including energy and equipment (diluted in 2 years). Besides, it's a hobby that I enjoy a lot.

Not in any of the supermarkets I go to! Most of them are 4 bottles for £5 or £6.
Costco quite often do Green King IPA or Badgers box of 12 for £14. It’s almost cheaper than buying empty bottles, although my capping tool can’t use the GK bottles unless I follow up with a 27mm socket

Just been having a look my previous MM recipe prices and the increases are staggering, Mysterious SN going from £19 to £32 and DK Galaxy Delight £18 to £30 this isn't a dig at MM just a moan at inflation .
Huge fan of MM used them for years and don't shop for ingredients anywhere else, but I agree whilst an impact was anticipated this seems significant and would possibly make some consider purchases , I haven't seen any detailed explanation anyone aware if this has been explained ? Is it all down to grain prices ?

To confirm no criticism of MM I know they wouldn't be doing this unless they had no option but would be nice to have the full background ( are prices likely to fall again in the future?)

The problem is that people will stop buying or make their own clone/recipe to save money so its not good for any retailer and I am sure that they too loathe doing it.
I have seen a lift in grains and have heard rumours of a big hike after the new year but hops have not risen in any large amounts YET!!!

I do both AG and kits, wine and sprit too boot its my hobby and enjoy it, I always look forward to tasting the results of my endeavours.
prices are rising just need to be a bit savvy save where you can people on here have stated places to try for better value please keep the faith

Just take a look at MM prices for 25kg of grain staggering. I’ve never bought from them were too dear now ridiculous. For example Crisp Maris Otter £44. I buy it for £21 from the South Cheshire Group. I expect our prices will go up but hopefully nowhere near that level.

I second a Bench capper it will do virtually any bottle
Yep bench cappers a re significant upgrade but still a PITA if you have different sized. Bottles. We ditched all our random sized ex commercial beer bottles and bout a couple of cases of bottles and capping is now significantly less of a faff.

Just ordered 3 kits from CML kits one being their new Goose Island Clone . With discount £62 including delivery which is considerably lower than MM . Though CML will probably increase their prices too.

Huge fan of MM used them for years and don't shop for ingredients anywhere else, but I agree whilst an impact was anticipated this seems significant and would possibly make some consider purchases , I haven't seen any detailed explanation anyone aware if this has been explained ? Is it all down to grain prices ?

To confirm no criticism of MM I know they wouldn't be doing this unless they had no option but would be nice to have the full background ( are prices likely to fall again in the future?)
Well at the end of the day they’re not a charity and have employees to pay and premises to pay for and are trying to balance the horrendous energy. And grain price increases we are all seeing. Also MM are great (as are other suppliers) in the range of stuff they offer like the range of ingredients and equipment so will carry a much higher inventory and all the costs associated with that so you might pay a slight ‘premium’ but it’s small compared compared to the convenience and service they offer. And to be fair for equipment they are pretty competitively priced in my experience.

I’m sure they’re not ripping everyone off swanning around for in their Bentley’s. If you want a large supplier offering a wide range of products and services then there is a cost in creating that offering. If you want to get your grain from ‘Any grain you want as long as it’s Marris Otter Ltd’ then I’m pretty sure you’ll get the best price from them.

Yep prices are going up but it’s a hobby as others have pointed out and it’s still significantly cheaper than decent commercial beers. I don’t brew beer to drink at home on my own, I still go t’pub with mates and still buy commercial beers for home. I enjoy making beers and sharing them with friends and work colleagues. I’m always staggered at people’s desire to want to try my homebrew. And the fact they come back for more. If I were to say I make my own bread or can rustle up a mean Lasagne I don’t get the same desire to sample my efforts.

Unfortunately this Cost of living crisis is across all aspects of life not just Homebrew. We have had low inflation for decades and its a shock to the system the rate prices are rising.
I have used MM ,GEB and CML and can't fault any of them for their customer service and quality of their products ,I can only hope that all continue and as long as they do I will support them as the old adage is very true "Use it or lose it"

I agree with both answers but you should not have to pay for good service it should be provided and without having ago at MM you get excellent service from CML and the THBS and they are more competitive which in the current climate is becoming more apparent

Latest posts

Back