Could this be right?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glideman

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm returning to brewing after about 25 years off & I've just done my second batch of Coopers kit beer the first one was Australian Lager & my current one is a Coopers I.P.A. The question is I started this batch last week and it's been brewing for 6 days I added the following . . .

Coopers IPA kit
500g spray dried malt
500g dextrose

The current gravity is 1009
The starting gravity was 1040

according to the calculator that gives me a ABV of 4.1 %, this seems a little on the low side & I was wondering what to do next? The beer has a slight foam on the top but it looks to be pretty much finished. Whats the best thing to do now, leave it alone for a few more days? Will it get stronger or has it used all the sugar up?

Any help would be great :cheers:

Keep taking gravity readings. If it doesn't change over the course of a 3 days, it's done. It won't get stronger. Was there an expected gravity listed on the kit at all?

You want to take a few readings over two days and see if it changes.

Don't forget if you bottle it a d add sugar to the bottle it will kick off the 2nd fermentation and add another 0.5% abv :)

phettebs said:
Keep taking gravity readings. If it doesn't change over the course of a 3 days, it's done. It won't get stronger. Was there an expected gravity listed on the kit at all?

Thanks for the help guys, I threw the tin away so don't know what the suggested gravity is. Maybe next time I should keep it :oops: I'll do a few readings as suggested.

Latest posts

Back