Crossmyloof Pale Yeast?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spudhead94

Reaction score
Happy Thursday all! Now a few evenings a go i ordered 3 packets of Crossmyloof us-Pale Ale Yeast, it was my error due to amazons one click purchasing i ordered this instead of the real ale yeast. I plan to use a stout beer kit tomorrow and was curious as to if i make a starter would the yeast i bought suffice?

80-82% flocculation
73-82% Attenuation
max ABV approx equal to 5.7%
18-25c temp range

The kit i've bought is Chocmeister from wilkos new range and they state it produces around 4% ABV, now i always under make my kits so instead of doing 20 litres like it states I intend to split it into two 8L batches. I've also bought some DME so this as well as under making the kit will increase the ABV but i'm not sure how much by?

I'm still fairly new to home brewing so any help is appreciated and i wanted to double check before ruining a kit!

I'm pretty sure Beavertown ferment their Smogrocket porter with US-05 Pale Ale yeast. It should be fine. If anything, you may lose some of the fruity flavours that often come from an English ale yeast. I dont think you need to make a starter. Go for it!

The pale ale yeast is fine for stout.
I’ve used it in oatmeal stout and a few times in my Imperial Stout, both worked out just fine!

As others have said, that yeast will work perfectly well in a stout. You mention a starter but that's not necessary for dry yeast. You can either rehydrate with 100ml of water at about 22°c for 20 mins, or even more simply just chuck it in, half a pack in each of your 8L batches.

They claim its similar to S05 (which I use for RIS) so imagine it'd be ok. They do say good for 5.7% abv and I've taken S05 up to nearly 12. (Their belgium says7% and I've had it well over double figures)

Latest posts

Back