Crown cap sizes

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’ve been saving bottles, and have a bench crown capper on the way.
I was wondering about the different size caps.
Can someone explain how to determine the cap size required.
Is it about measuring the bottle?

26mm is the regular size you get on almost any bottle below 750ml (75cl) and some Belgian bottles. 29mm is like large Leffe bottles or champagne style bottles (and some 330ml Belgian style bottles sold in the US I believe). Most likely you'll need 26mm.

My Emily capper and then my bench capper both came with 26mm standard beer cap bell.

I then got access to a lot of champagne bottles so decided to change over to those for wine and beers.
Bought a Tirage bell that was for champagne caps and expected it to fit on my bench capper. Got home the bell had the wrong fitting ie was male and I needed female or vice versa for the bench capper. Luckily it fitted on the emily capper so just some bending to cap those bottles.

My Emily capper and then my bench capper both came with 26mm standard beer cap bell.

I then got access to a lot of champagne bottles so decided to change over to those for wine and beers.
Bought a Tirage bell that was for champagne caps and expected it to fit on my bench capper. Got home the bell had the wrong fitting ie was male and I needed female or vice versa for the bench capper. Luckily it fitted on the emily capper so just some bending to cap those bottles.
Mine has only got the 26mm, sometimes I use champagne bottles for beer, plastic stopper and wire cage (bought those yonks ago never used them for sparkling wine). But I'll see whether the bell can be changed (an Italian model).

Obviously you need to buy the bigger caps for the bottles as well as the bigger bell.
But it's so much easier capping wine than corking it, my sparkling elderflower wine is still good 2 years later and I'm now filling those bottles with saisons.

I didn't realise that there were different cap sizes until it was too late!
I had to order a capper, and caps for next day delivery, and leave a few bottles uncovered over night :/
I would just loosely lay a cap on the bottle neck, and check it fits. Though like what was said above it's only Leffe bottles that I've found with the wider necks

Latest posts

Back