Cryo Hops from CrossMyLoof

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Baron

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi look what arrived today from CML.
I have won these in a facebook competition by CML.
I have never used Cryo hops so looking for a little advice probably using them in Whirlpool/Dry Hop seems to be what I have read. Any suggestions as I want to do a report on how they go to aid other brewers.
Ps thanks to CML
20221012_190303.jpg

But then if you use your normal amount you can make one of those beers that's usually a bit expensive.
Unfortunately Cryo hops are quite a bit more expensive than the same quantity of T90 pellets (£5.55 v £3.55 for 25g of Simcoe) so you don't get that big a saving.

My understanding is that the primary benefit of Cryo hops is that you can get a large dose of hop oils into your beer with considerably less vegetal matter compared to T90 pellets. So less losses due to absorption and less propensity for astringency and undesirable vegetal flavours from a very large dry hop.

Right,so what's the % extra hop oils from the cryo hops?
According to Yakima Chief they have roughly twice the alpha acid and oil content; so you can either use half as much as you would T90 pellets or you can use the same amount and effectively get double the alpha acids/oil.

Interestingly, they do quote cost savings as being one of the benefits of Cryo hops but based on CML's pricing the opposite seems to be true, perhaps it is different at the commercial level though. If you assume 25g of Cryo is equivalent to 50g of T90 pellets, then the pricing for Simcoe is £5.55 v. £4.25, so T90's actually work out £1.30 cheaper.

If you buy 6 packs of Cryo they are discounted down to £4 per pack and 10 goes to £3.75.
I suppose they are more for serious hopheads that want bang in loads and less chance of vegetative off flavours and less loss to hop debris.
I would love to dry hop with them but not so sure as I am a little sensitive to higher bittering thats why I do much Whirlpooling to get flavour with less AA extraction

Get the lupomax fropm geterbrewed or the malt miller, same stuff but different barnd and half the price

Yakima do both Lupomax and Cryo - my understanding was that the “recommended usage” for Lupomax was 70% and Cryo is 50%
Yakima do both Lupomax and Cryo - my understanding was that the “recommended usage” for Lupomax was 70% and Cryo is 50%
Didn’t know that, thought it was competing brands so not so bad then.

I was looking at this last night and trying to put a spreadsheet together ( sad git I know!) for the hops for my next lot of brews and wondered why those were so expensive. Still don’t look great value in comparison and also don’t state the year. That said I’m tempted to give them a go to see how they compare. The Lupo ones all seem to be 2020 ( unless you buy a kilo) so I’d discounted them too.

Didn’t know that, thought it was competing brands so not so bad then.

I was looking at this last night and trying to put a spreadsheet together ( sad git I know!) for the hops for my next lot of brews and wondered why those were so expensive. Still don’t look great value in comparison and also don’t state the year. That said I’m tempted to give them a go to see how they compare. The Lupo ones all seem to be 2020 ( unless you buy a kilo) so I’d discounted them too.
Buy direct for the fresh stuff

Hi look what arrived today from CML.
I have won these in a facebook competition by CML.
I have never used Cryo hops so looking for a little advice probably using them in Whirlpool/Dry Hop seems to be what I have read. Any suggestions as I want to do a report on how they go to aid other brewers.
Ps thanks to CMLView attachment 76220
Well done baron! I entered that comp too! 😁

Latest posts

Back