Cycling question

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crofty83

Regular.
Reaction score
Is the tyre on the front wheel different from the tyre on the rear wheel on a mountain bike? I've just ordered a new tyre and only just realised it says It's a "Kenda Kinetics Front"

I believe they are the same in many cases, but these ones have tread specific patterns for front v rear

Hawks said:
I believe they are the same in many cases, but these ones have tread specific patterns for front v rear

Different tread patterns? I wanted to use this on the rear wheel

+1 on the tread pattern.
this is a bit of a sweeping statement but generally rear tires tread pattern tends to go across the tyre and the front vertically on the tyre.

helps with gripand getting the power down in the loose stuff and the front for steering.

the above relates to off road tyres.

If you use your bike for mainly road use with a bit of off roading try the "continental travel contacts" range pretty bomb proof, I did the coast to coast with a trip through Winlatter forest with them on my 29er. V fast on road sections just a little exciting on the loose stuff ;)

You know when youv'e been braking hard .... your brake disc is glowing! :D

Awesome guys. Thanks. Well I've already got the tyre (albeit for the wrong wheel) sat here so may as well order the kenda rear tyre to match the front now. If I wanted to fit road tyres to my bike for cycling to work would I need a whole new wheel or just a road tyre with the same measurements that's currently on it

Is your bike a 26" mountain bike? if so the travel contacts will fit .
It a tyre with a semi-slick centre bead for road use and knobbly bits on the edges for off roady type stuff.
I think they also have a kevlar belt in them so are more puncture resistant.
Try online shopd like "chain reaction" , "wiggle" etc.

You can get pretty much any tyre you like, ;)

Believe me for general commuting/ cycle path type stuff you will really notice the increase in speed and comfort. Have fun!
:cheers:

Baldbrewer said:
sorry for dyslexia in previous post some tw*t at work has spilt coke over the keyboard and the keys are now sticking together! :clap:

Haha go and run it under the tap and it hopefully should wash out all the **** and then leave it upside down to dry over night

Just looked at a pair of your tyres. the fronts are usually more of a rounded profile for steering but shouldn't make much difference . For ease of rolling keep the little arrows in the middle of the tread facing forwards > in the direction of rotation, or for more grip have em facing backwards< (makes em a swine on hard surfaces tho)! If you ride mostly road get a pair of slicks or semi slicks in a 1-95x26" size. This will give you a much faster ride with less effort and the width is'nt too skinny so you still get a comfy ride. PS. Keep em pumped up hard- faster+less punctures, 45psi on the road as a mnimum

Back