Damsons at last

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dieseljockey

Regular.
Reaction score
We've been to our secret damson tree and picked 12 lbs. OH needs about 4lbs for jam, that will leave me 8lbs for wine.

Next to the tree was a large rose full of hips. So we picked 2 lbs of those.

I need to visit a secret tree that I haven't visited for about 10 yrs, as my boys want me to make elderberry port to put away for their 18th birthdays, so I need a few lbs of damsons. :thumb:

Did I bother you for the recipe for the elderberry port Alistair?

They're ripe round me now and I think I've found damsons too! :thumb:

Here you go C and for anyone else in need of port in their life.

This is my recipe

per gallon

2lb damsons
2lb elderberry
2lb blackberry
1lb raisins
1 tsp pectinase
2lb of sugar

The elderberries are not ready around here at the moment, took a look at a couple of trees that we know too today. I like the recipe I think I'll freeze 2lbs of damsons for when the elderberries are ripe. We have blackberries in the freezer from the allotment.

Wow. Graysalchemy. You have a 20 year old bottle of elderberry port?! That is amazing.

Was thinking of using elderberries but read somewhere about a stubborn coating/slime type layer they can leave on a vessel. Was I incorrectly informed? Got my blackberries picked for my first proper wine, not a WOW or a kit :)

:wha: Warwickshire and Worcestershire aren't very far apart.

I checked my local damson source only 2 weeks ago and there were lots of them but they were very hard and very green.

I've picked quite a few blackberries today and will get a freezer full over the weekend but elderberries and damsons should still be a few weeks away.

Made an English Port to GA's recipe in 2011, took a sip earlier this week and it's nowhere near ready to bottle.

Moley said:
I checked my local damson source only 2 weeks ago and there were lots of them but they were very hard and very green.

Well these are just about right, the OH drives past on her way to work and she checked on Thur. They are just on the turn from firm to soft, in fact some of the fruit had gone over and the wasps were having a feed. If it's been two weeks Moley since you last checked maybe it's time to have another look at them. ;)

Moley said:

Solihull is in the vicinity, too, and ours are only just coming to colour. Picked about a pound a few days ago before realising it was far too early.

Elderberries are still green as well. Blackberries are definitely ready if they're on a bramble that's been in the sun. Big, black, juicy ones on some brambles!

Back